THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a custom rifle on an older ruger 77?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is using an old ruger 77 a good option for building a custom gun? I have the opportunity to buy one off a guy for cheep in .338 win and I was thinking of making it into a .264 win mag. Also I'm not sure when ruger switched to the 77mk2 but he says the gun is about 15 years old, when I look at it I'll check for the tang safety.

Thanks,
Brett

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that bbl is in good shape and you don't want to keep it sell it to me. I may want to put it on a Mk 2. I will have to assume they did not change the threads. PM me.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 24 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The threads are the same. I think the Ruger 77s are a decent action and have rebarreled a bunch of them. I even built a BR rifle on one once and it worked out quite well. I think it is, in general, as good as a new Winchester or a Remington just not as commonly used. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill if it's in good shape I'll pick it up, I'm guessing that since the .264 win is based off the 338 that I wont have to do much on the way of feeding.

I PMed you RoA.

Brett

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are sinking a lot of money into a custom rifle, you will be wise to limit your choice of actions to a Win Pre 64 Mod. 70 or a 98 Mauser otherwise your gun will not be worth squat on the used market if you want or need to sell it. It really devalues a custom rifle to use any other actions than those two.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bullet_Proof:
Is using an old ruger 77 a good option for building a custom gun? I have the opportunity to buy one off a guy for cheep in .338 win and I was thinking of making it into a .264 win mag. Also I'm not sure when ruger switched to the 77mk2 but he says the gun is about 15 years old, when I look at it I'll check for the tang safety.

Thanks,
Brett

I agree with Bill on the 77 actions. One of my best shooting custom rifles is on a 77 action. well good luck on your project. Tom

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullet Proof
I build several rifles each year using the old style tang safety Ruger 77. I have one in the safe now in a 35 Whelen, Lilja barrel, NECG sights, High Tech stock, jeweled bolt, that to be delivered at the Dallas Safari Show. As far as accuracy is concerned, they will shoot as accurately as any other providing a proper action job and barrel are installed.
Charlie

Posts: 39 | Location: Dayton, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the insite, resale value doesn't really matter much to me since I don't intend to sell it but it is a valid point. After I go check out the gun I'll decide what to do.

Brett

one of us
posted Hide Post
A custom rifle ceases to be "custom" when sold by the one for which it was built. Hard to sell for what its "worth" unless builder/owner have a celebrity staus of somekind.

Having said that resale, IMO. gets better with custom action, Win Model 70, or mauser.

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote