New
Find
Notify
Tools

M98 and FN barrel threads etc
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All, I have obtained an FN (Parker Hale) in 7x57. It has been badly stored and the barrel is pitted although may not be beyond redemption. If its totalled it has been suggested to me that a pre-chambered Lothar Walther for the M98 would be a good and cheap solution. Question: will it fit and are these long chambered barrels worth the money?

Regards

Z

Posts: 188 | Location: staffordshire | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I have rebarreled a lot of M98's, long chambered, short chambered, and no chamber using many different brands. Adams and Bennett make a large number of different caliber short chambered barrels. The cost is around $100. Adams and Bennett(from Midwayusa.com) are not the bench shooters choice, but are fine for hunting. The lothar Walther is probably a better barrel but a lot more expensive. A long chambered barrel requires a lathe to headspace. A short chambered barrel can be fitted and headspaced using hand tools, if you have the proper reamer. You should have the go, no-go gauges, in either case. Any barrel threaded for an M98 will work in your Parker-Hale. It has been my experience that the A&B barrels shoot well, they take long to clean because they are not polished like more expensive barrels. If a standard factory Remington or Winchester barrel is ok, then an A&B is also.

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks both. Yes I believe it is a Santa Barbara. Same spacing for the scope mounts etc as the FN. The advantage that we have over here with Walther is that they don't have quite sor far to travel! Lathe is no problem for headspacing.

Many thanks

Posts: 188 | Location: staffordshire | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote