New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laser Bore sight devices
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do any of our distinguished gunsmiths or semi-pros use laser bore sight devices? What would you recommend?

Posts: 182 | Location: Up the holler in WV | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I use this. http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/mo...minated-boresighter/

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I'm not a semi but I use a LaserLyte Cabelas brand and really find it does a good job. I have taken it to Africa the last couple of trips to check zero and it works perfectly while it takes up very little space. I also used it on my double to set the scope initially and was within 3" at 50yds which got me on the paper. I don't have any other boresighter as I gave my old one away to my grandson.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the AimShot laser cartridge insert thingie !.

I'm no professional , it just works and works well quickly saves Ammo , so what's not to like about them ?.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I tried one of the laser boresighters, but have since switched to the same device Westpac uses; I like it a lot better, as long as I remember to shut it off before I put it away.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
I tried one of the laser boresighters, but have since switched to the same device Westpac uses; I like it a lot better, as long as I remember to shut it off before I put it away.

Me too! I've replaced the batteries twice, and I've only had it a week. Big Grin Actually I've had it for over a year and it gets used! Sometimes I use it to retrieve springs and things I can't normally see on the floor. That and a ton of metal shavings and chips. Big Grin

You can tie a string around it and throw it into those dark corners of the shop where those nasty spiders hang out and retrieve all sorts of neat stuff you thought you would never see again.

It makes a great refrigerator magnet too. You won't be knocking that thing off the fridge door anytime soon. All in all, it's a great universal tool and I highly recommend it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it work well on SS rifles ?.

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
Does it work well on SS rifles ?.

Yes, stainless rifles are magnetic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the older magnetic Leupold ones and it is not very accurate. Are the new ones like you show any better? I have and old Bushnell that seems to work better but mostly I set the gun up on my bench and bore sight it on the neighbor's window frame across the street.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
I have one of the older magnetic Leupold ones and it is not very accurate. Are the new ones like you show any better? I have and old Bushnell that seems to work better but mostly I set the gun up on my bench and bore sight it on the neighbor's window frame across the street.

The new Leupold unit that I have is great. It works very well. If you take the time to square the cross hairs with the scale, and set it at the right height, it's as accurate as any device. I went to it because I hate sticking things into the muzzle end of the bore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the AimShot laser thingie, too. I find that the battery end of .223 insert tends to extend beyond end of the insert you are using, and the bolt won't close. I assume you'd want the bolt to close so as to ensure the insert is as accurately placed in the chamber as it can be. I have also found that the laser will hit a different spot when the .223 insert (in a .223 gun) is in a different clock position. They seem like a good idea, but I rarely use mine. I have inserts for .223, .30-06 and 300WSM. I'd say forget the laser boresighters and just rough sight your scope at 25 yards then dial it in as you go out farther.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never put the bolt in when using the Aimshot laser !. NO NEED !. Cartridge is machined to SAMMI chamber specs . So if you simply push it in it's lined up in the Bore FOR SURE !.

I use mine on a 25 Yd. sighting target board from my shooting bench . It dead centers and I do mean DEAD CENTERS once you move the cross hairs too the dot . Now depending on the scope adjustments 1/8 1/4 1/2 MOA move the elevation the appropriate number of clicks on the sight board .My Sight board has graduations in 1/2" increments in elevation as well as windage .
Made it on the computer my printer will do 17" X 44" .

It worked so well on my .308 , that I NOW always take the spotting scope . I sighted in as described . Put the laser away ( Removing batteries is safest way to insure it stays off ) Got out some rounds started to fire 100 meters . Didn't see the first report !!. What the ?.
Loaded repeated didn't see the second report ( using my scope not a spotting scope ) !.

So I fiddled with scope adjustments ( LIKE AN IDIOT ! ), next shot was 1 " high 2" right .

So now I go down to the target pull it off the board . TWO almost exactly center in the 10 ring nearly identical hole on hole !!.

Boy was I pissed at myself for " Fixing the adjustments " !!!!!!!!!!!. Spotting scope Spotting scope from that day forward !!.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use an old optical bore sighter or a red paper dot on a tree 50 yards out the shop door..that will get me on the paper and sometimes smack dead on...The bore sighters are a bone to the pack in hunter..You can check your zero each morning and that will save you from missing a shot many times in a life time of hunting, I promise.....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
This Leupold unit we're recommending is perfect for field use. Use it to get on paper, then after you've finished sighting in check again and record what you see. Now you have the ability to check your zero any time you want in the field...as long as you shut it off before you put it away. It also can be used to retrieve your rifle from the lake it you drop it overborard.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Wespac, the Leupold unit for ~$60 is so good, it couldn't get any better.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-zero-point-magnetic...ted-boresighter.html
free shipping

When you put it in the pouch, the act will push off the switch that powers the battery powered LED illumination.

The magnet sticks to the muzzle of stainless barrels just as hard as Chrome Moly barrels.

With that unit, I can get the first shot on the paper, and the second shot is on the bullseye.

With that unit I can bore sight at night.

I do gunsmithing with it, I take it to the range, and I take it hunting.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Sweeny Site-A-Line bore sighter is the only one that I have used that actually worked consistantly.
Mine has the X crosshairs -I have seen others with a circle reticle .

Brownells does stock these.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...19&title=SITE-A-LINE

Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
is this thing helpful in leveling your crosshairs?? if not maybe they should put a bubble level on it too

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Nope. That would only work if your scope had a bubble level on it, and that would only work if the action had a ... well, you get the idea. Big Grin

Stop by sometime and I will show you what I do to square cross hairs. Almost as fast as using that boresighter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once a scope is properly attached to the rifle and sighted in no matter which devise one uses .

Is it necessary to carry the sighing devise with you ?. I've NEVER DONE THAT !.

I always Fire my weapon prior to hunting no matter where the hunt may be. So as to check zero and any mechanical failures which may have occurred during transit ( Airlines are the WORST ) . Yet in over 40 years of hunting I've never had a scope come lose or been off zero enough to worry me . ( Am I that lucky ? )

I don't think so , as the Airlines bought one of my rifles they lost ! ??. One shotgun in Argentina was also replaced as it some how didn't clear customs or wasn't able to be found to clear customs !!.

I've often wondered about the Airlines lost luggage shopping store ??. Is that in NC or SC ?.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The Leupold seems to require too many operations to set up. I had one of the first ones and didn't like it. I know the LaserLyte goes in the muzzle but if I thought I was strong enough to damage the muzzle I certainly wouldn't use one. Just put it in the muzzle and at dusk mine is good for about 50 yds to check sight in. Not much bigger than a fountain pen and weighs practically nothing and when you turn it off I guarantee mine won't come on by itself it's so difficult to turn on. Have had it and used it since they were introduced and have yet to replace the battery. I normally just check it against the wall in my work area and am good to get VERY close on the paper. I use it on my doubles also with complete success.
Besides they are 'made in Arizona'.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
The Leupold seems to require too many operations to set up.

It takes more operations to fire the gun than it does to stick a magnet to a muzzle. And it doesn't require any more distance than the end of the barrel. Day or night.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can see why a GunSmith would want one to charge for setting-up a customers scope. I can not see why anyone who is not a GunSmith would ever need one.

On Bolt action Rifles, I remove the Bolt set the rifle in sandbags and eyeball through the Bore. If it looks close, I shoot one at 10-25yds. Then I either change to an Eccentric Insert in the Burris Signatures, or do a bit of Adjustment.

One more shot at 25yds tells if any more adjustment is needed, then on to 100yds.

If it is a Lever, Pump, Semi-Auto or some single shots, I just give it a blast at 10yds. So it takes me 2-3 shots to be close out at 100yds and I don't need another "Thingy" in the way.

That said, if someone wants to buy one, that is what they should do. beer

quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
...I always Fire my weapon prior to hunting no matter where the hunt may be. So as to check zero and any mechanical failures which may have occurred during transit ( Airlines are the WORST ) . ...
Just as everyone should do when the firearm is out of their direct control for any length of time.
-----

By the way, I can see where Westpac is getting the best use from his as a Metal Fragment Location Thingy. rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:

On Bolt action Rifles, I remove the Bolt set the rifle in sandbags and eyeball through the Bore. If it looks close, I shoot one at 10-25yds. Then I either change to an Eccentric Insert in the Burris Signatures, or do a bit of Adjustment.

I did that for years, during daylight hours.

That is allot easier with a .458 than with a .17M2.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote