New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broken Stock Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a rifle built on an FN mauser action and when I took it out of the stock I noticed the entire recoil lug area had been broken out and glued back in. My question is,since I like the rifle and stock, could this stock be repaired and be made strong again? If so, any suggestions would be appreciated.THANKS!

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I'd have no problem fixing it with glass bedding compound. Key it in and add a cross bolt afterwards if you choose.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The stock can be readily repaired, If the wood in the area is sound and the "glue" that was used was epoxie resin, you can probably just add a good stock (through) bolt and relieve the recoil lug area and glass (fiberglass) bed it. If the glue was not appropriate for the repair, the piece of wood can be removed and reinstalled with epoxie resin and fiberglass. Then a stock (through) bolt can be installed and the area relieved and glass bedded. Good luck.

Posts: 33 | Location: United States | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply's guys!

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote