New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 30-06/6.5x55mm conversion...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone converted their Savage 30-06 rifle with Accu-Trigger to a 6.5x55mm?

What type of barrel did you choose?

What type of modifications did you have to do if any to the receiver and magazine to have it function properly?

Could you recommend a 'smith?

Thank you...

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
First of all I have not done this. However I do know that Savages are the easiest for the do it yourself kinda guy.

I think Midway or Brownell's sells a "kit". I wouldn't think you would have any feeding issues.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends upon the magazine in the Savage. If it is like a Mauser box magazine, you could have some issues because the 6.5 Swede is shorter and slightly fatter than the 30-06 round. However, my savage safari used a single stack magazine and I would think that you'd be OK with no or very little modification of the lips on the magazine. My Stevens 223 uses a mauser system. I don't know about the 30-06.

YOu should be able to test the feed until the round is feeding into the chamber, however, the swede is fatter and will get stuck in the 30-06 chamber if you drive it home. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
I have a LA Savage 110 with a blind magazine in .257 Roberts. It feeds fine with no problems. The .257 R is similar to the 6.5x55, so I think you'll be OK.

S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote