Find
Notify
Tools

1909 Argy cartridge limitations
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ready On The Right
posted
while retaining the original bottom metal?

Assuming all 06' cases variants are good, all X 57mm cases are good, what about the short belted mags?

Mike

Posts: 86 | Location: GA | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody?

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
It's a pretty open ended question. I presume you are asking about the limitations of the action, rather than the cartridge.

It depends on how much money you've got to spend, and willing to spend. The further you go from the original 7.65x53, the more it will cost. There are plenty of gunsmiths who will gladly make a silk purse out of it, if you are willing to part with enough money.

I recently acquired a 1909 action, and I'm thinking of barreling it in 7.65x53. Seems logical to me.

If you are thinking about a short mag cartridge, I advise looking for another action.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By short belted mag I meant .338 Win Mag, .300 Win Mag, 7mm Mag, .458 Win Mag, not WSM's.

I guess I framed the question poorly, I was wondering if the original bottom metal would suffice for one of those types of rounds. I wouldn't be hunting dangerous game with it so 2-3 rds down would be sufficient.

Mike

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ready On The Right:
By short belted mag I meant .338 Win Mag, .300 Win Mag, 7mm Mag, .458 Win Mag, not WSM's.

I guess I framed the question poorly, I was wondering if the original bottom metal would suffice for one of those types of rounds. I wouldn't be hunting dangerous game with it so 2-3 rds down would be sufficient

It could(and has) been done many times, but it is not the best bet as far as feeding and function.

You could follow Kablewy's advice and go with a 7.65x53, but that would make as much sense as re barreling a k98 to 9x57. Basically the function/utility would be great, but why go with an archaic/obsolete cartridge????

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Mike:

I am building a 6.5x55 on a virgin 1909 Argentine action.

After measuring the 1909 original bottom metal, I found it to be slightly narrower than a standard 7x57/8x57 Mauser bottom metal. Nevertheless, the original magazine will feed dummy 7x57, 8x57 and 30-06 cartridges with ease as proved by my experience.

Therefore, I decided to stick with a similar original sized cartridge to the 7.65x53 Mauser round.

Another limitation is the feed rails on the 1909 Argentine. They were designed to kick over a short necked round with a not too long original bullet which the 7.65x53 certainly is. As you use a longer necked round with a longer bullet, the effectiveness of the feed rails falls off pretty fast.

Now, Duane Wiebe among others can sort out any 1909 Argentine, and make it into anything you want.

I found the 1908 Brazilian and the nearly identical K98k's to be really simple to adjust for just about any short cartridge. I would use different bottom metal though, if you are getting into the short magnum cartridges especially in your 1909 Argentine.

Remember Mauserwerk produced numerous sizes of magazines based upon the dimensions of the cartridge in question. German precision at it finest.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yale:

Remember Mauserwerk produced numerous sizes of magazines based upon the dimensions of the cartridge in question. German precision at it finest.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Numerous actions too, the magazines were not the only component specific to the cartridge, the action, and extractor were too.

That said, it isn't rocket science to get a Mauser to feed. It just takes time and money. Sometimes lots of both. Big Grin

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1909 Argie in process ... need to do the finish, but it feeds soft and solid .376 Steyr slick as can be.

In addition to opening up the bolt face and fitting the extractor, only required changing the follower as the original is designed for a more severe case taper.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike!

That's what I was hoping to hear. I think I want it in .338 WM but am still undecided.

Mike