New
Find
Notify
Tools

Serengeti
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This may be a tired topic so I apologize ahead of time, but is anyone familiar with Serengeti Rifles/Stockworks? They appear to use a MRC 1999 action. Is it any good?

Any other info?

Thanks

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JSL,
You might contact Waksupi, over on the Cast Boolit board. He works there.

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it any good?

Yup.

But not as good as spending the $6,000 they want for their rifle on a plains game hunt in Namibia. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
jsl, there has been a lot of discussion of MRC actions here and elsewhere as to their 'quality'. I think a fair summary is to say that the actions are of good to excellent quality functionally, and will make an excellent performing rifle. There has been much debate over the finish on the action itself. It is clear that at least some of the actions MRC has sold, have not been finished to the highest degree externally, i.e. they needed polishing etc. to become a finely finished rifle prior to bluing or whatever the final finish was to be.

The counter position to this issue, is that the actions were intended to be the building block for a rifle for a gunsmith, and that any fine finishing should be left for the smith to do.

I have a great deal of experience with Serengeti in regards to their stocks, but do not have an MRC action rifle from them. I have handled and shot many. They were beautiful, functioned flawlessly, and were highly accurate rifles, each and every one.

Good luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not quite sure, is this a question about Serengeti or a question about the MRC M1999 action?? Or perhaps both??

If you are enquiring about the M1999 action Serengeti has used for their rifles, then Serengeti modified that action extensively before building a rifle around it. Unless a customer specifies a M1999 action to be used, it is probably the exception that this is used much these days. Probably not because the quality of the action, but because the M1999 actions have been hard to come by for a long time.

If you are enquiring about Serengeti as a company and the work they do, I can only attest to their undying attention to quality and how they stand by the products they deliver.

Here is a picture of the first rifle Serengeti stocked for me - a modified M700 with a varmint contour Krieger barrel in .223.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking for feedback on the MRC action and/or Serengeti re-worked MRC action.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just came across this topic. I do work for Serengeti, and can tell you a bit about what we do. When I do an action job on a 1999, I usually end up with 8-10 hours in the handwork. Lugs are lapped, bridge is squared, and leveled in all directions. Races are polished, as is feedramp. Any place that binds, is dealt with. Ejection port is cleaned up, and all surfaces made to flow together, with sharp accents, where they are supposed to be. Trigger is polished, and milled to good engagement with sear. Bottom metal is polished to correct surface, including relieving the floorplte stop. Floorplate polished.
I'm sure I have left some things out. When you go to work on one of these, there is a lot to pay attention to, to make them a top quality, flawless functioning action. That's what we do.
As was said before, the supply had been rather shakey with these actions.
Stand by for something very good to come, from a new source.

Shooters Cast Bullet Alumnus

Ric Carter

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote