New
Find
Notify
Tools

40X. .22 RF. Sporterize or rebarrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have come across a great deal on a Remington 40X .22 RF. I am in the market for a .22 for close Ground Hog hunting and was thinking about this as a possibility.

I only know about theses guns by reputation, not 1st hand knowledge.

I would have /want to shorten, taper, flute the barrel to meet my need. OR........... Would it be better to just rebarrel with a Lothar-Walther barrel of the dimensions that I need?

What is the feeling about working down the factory barrel?

Thanks,

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the price is good, I'd go for it. I don't think I'd touch the barrel- fluting or otherwise, but that's your call. While a new barrel might be an easier/cheaper way to get the contour your looking for, It probably will not shoot any better (or even as good) as the factory barrel (assuming its in good shape). These are very accurate to begin with.

Posts: 31 | Location: Maine | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yoo Big Sam,I got a 40X that was a target rifle but many years ago I turned the barrel down and cut it at 24in and put it in a sporter stock and didn`t look back..Shoots as good as it did as a target rifle without all the weight.The main thing is to not mess up the match chamber and cut a good crown on it...

one of us
Picture of muskrat
posted Hide Post
Hey ALL
The CMP just released a bunch of 40X rimfires,some in heavy barrels and some in medium weight.They went for $350 for the heavy and $275 for the medium.They were R.O.T.C. rifles and hadn't been shot as much as carried and knocked around.I bought four of them and plan to keep all of them.Haven't had the weather and the time to take any of them out yet, but a buddy took his and he said it shoots great groups with Lapua ammo.
muskrat
live to shoot -Shoot to live

Posts: 287 | Location: central ohio | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote