THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Does anyone have plan for building a spark arrester?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone have plan for building a spark arrester?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted
I have a dust collector I want to attach to a surface grinder and a belt grinder.

Does anybody have plans or starting point for building an arrester?

Thanks, Roger

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
I have a dust collector I want to attach to a surface grinder and a belt grinder.

Does anybody have plans or starting point for building an arrester?

Thanks, Roger

I showed up at a desert race once without the BLM required spark arrester, and to satisfy the requirements, was given a piece of fine mesh screen and a hose clamp to place over the end of the exhaust pipe...

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We used the same setup as Guy mention in the large gas oil separation plants in a hazardous enviroment prone to spark ignition.
Regards,
BJB

Posts: 514 | Location: now in Lower Slower Delaware | Registered: 21 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
We had 2 pieces of fine stainless steel screen about 1/2" apart and rotated in relation to each other by 45*. They slipped into a slot in the inlet pipe. This was many years ago surely they have something you can purchase. We made these ourselves. If my memory serves me we made saw cuts in the pipe half way thru cut the screen with half circle on bottom and ears to keep it from going into pipe and used duct tape to seal opening. To tell the truth I don't know why we did it we had never had any fires that I know of. It was done that way when I went there so we continued.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
My thoughts were to make a baffled box out of sheet metal maybe 18 to 20 inches square by 6 inches deep. The baffles would trap the hot sparks while the air movement would flow through holes in the baffles.

I couldn't figure out what quite to do over the air holes. I take it that a fine mesh iron wire should do the trick.

Thanks for the help...Roger

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
A couple of cheap metal coffee filter baskets would work. Most of them are brass mesh and very fine.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
My thoughts were to make a baffled box out of sheet metal maybe 18 to 20 inches square by 6 inches deep. The baffles would trap the hot sparks while the air movement would flow through holes in the baffles.

I couldn't figure out what quite to do over the air holes. I take it that a fine mesh iron wire should do the trick.

Thanks for the help...Roger

It's only job is to keep sparks from escaping. It need not be much more complicated than the little screen curtain that sits in front of a fireplace to keep the embers from getting out and burning the house down. A fine mesh iron wire bonnet would be just the ticket.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote