Find
Notify
Tools

McMillan Hunters Edge Stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted
Has anybody used one of these yet? If so, what's your opinion, and do you think they are that much better than the standard McMillan Fiberglass stocks. I like the fact that they come already pillar bedded. Weight isn't that big of an issue.

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan/hunting/winchester.asp

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Never mind, according to McMillan, it won't work for my application.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this a “private†discussion you’re having with yourself...or can anyone get in on it? Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick, it is all that water on the west side, or is the wet side of the state. It drives normal folks crazy. Some people have a leg up on the process. Smiler

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

I remember being in Seattle once and I walked outside with my sunglasses on and people kept coming up staring at me and asking what those things on my face were! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
hijack thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What thread?...you were talking to yourself! Smiler

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I was going to use that stock for a Model 70 that I'm putting together, but when I called them, the lady on the phone said it wouldn't work for the barrel contour I was going to use. That's a bummer. The contour I was going to use is the same as the factory Model 70, 300 Win Mag, but I guess she knows best, right?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jbabcock,

Brother I meant no offense at all, was just having a bit of fun with your post[s]. If it came off otherwise I truly apologise! beer

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Oh I didn't take it that way at all. You have nothing to apologize for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JBabcock, look at an Echols pattern "hunters edge" McMillan. Should be zero problems with that contour.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I'll take a look,
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of BCSteve
posted Hide Post
JB,

I'm waiting for my Winchester Compact, it's what McMillan call their Edge patern but with regular construction. It's for a Winchester M-70 in 7mm Rem Mag with factory barrel. They should have what you want.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just recieved a Hunters Edge for the M70. It is the 270 WSM Classic Stainless, it is a drop in for the factory barrel contour. Nice stock!
bigbull

Posts: 400 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's the difference between the standard "Hunter's Edge" and the Echols version and how do you tell the difference?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Hunters Edge" technology is graphite instead of the traditional fiberglass. D'Arcy Echols' pattern is just one that this technology has been applied to. In fact, I think they'll apply it to just about every pattern they offer which is why I find it odd that they told Mr. Babcock what they did.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Anyone with experience of the Edge in terms of the potential noice when scratched, related to synthetic stocks?

The Edge looks tempting, but I do also consider a Rimrock... Decisions, decisions...

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
the edge stock to my knowledge is supposed to be able to take a #3 douglas, which is a fairly hefty contour, I would say a mag countour should fit fine. as I think it would still be smaller than a #3 douglas, I think it would be awesome if hey offered some other patterns that would except up to #5 countours, that way one could put a rifle together with a pretty stout countour like a #5 and still be under 8#'s

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote