New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bumps on mauser bolt face
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Yugo 48 that doesnt eject the loaded rounds all the time. Sometimes it will do all five 308 Win. cases clear of the gun. Most times only some of them, sometimes not any. Comparing the bolt face to two other mausers that I have this one does not have the two bumps on the bolt face. Was wondering if thats right for the Yugo or it they were removed for some reason. Maybe the problem is something else. I put a new extractor on that helped some. Hope someone can help.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2 bumbs on the bolt face ???

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the extension of the left lug forward of the bolt face that has a slot in it? If it is missing, the case rim will not have support opposite the extractor,
so ejection of cases won't work right.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The projections from the rim of the bolt face differ between the M-48 and other Mausers. The M-48 has a slightly different breaching setup than other Mausers. This is probably NOT why it isn't ejecting. You may a new ejector, or you may need to clean the ejector and the ejector slot in the left wall of the receiver.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The Yugos are "safety breeched" their not supposed to have the bumps as you call them. The Yugo are chambered slightly deeper than the K98. The trade off is that they lack these projections on the left side of the bolt face that aid in holding the cartridge securely untill the ejector strikes the case to eject it. The moral of the story: Don't mess with Paul Mausers original design.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had exactly the same problem on a Yugo I chambered in 22/250. I had to order a new extractor made for the yugo from Tennesee gun parts. The groove in the bolt that retains the extractor is wider than a standard mauser. If the extractor has been replaced with a standard one then the extractor is allowed to move too far forward during extraction releasing the cartridge rim from the face of the bolt.

When I ordered an extractor from Gun Parts Inc (Numrich) they sent a standard one that did not work.

The problem can also be fixed by welding a small bead to the front of the tab that rides in the grove and then filing/grinding to proper thickness.

The Yugoslavians must have been aware of this problem as the last two I bought were not safety breeched and retained the "two little bumps".

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks parryj That seems to be my problem. I also ordered the extractor from Gun Parts. It is the same as the one on my 1909 Argn. If I weld on the extractor will I have to reheat treat it. Would brazing also work. Maybe I'll just try to find the right one. I just love this forum.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote