New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re Blueing/ Removing Rust 870 Lightweight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi. I was hoping some one could help point me in the right direction for removing rust from the reciever and barrel and then re blueing my 870 Lightweight. I would like to fix it up for my son and wife. Any leads where to buy the supplies online and the steps involved ? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would buy the supplies from Brownells. But unless you are an expert at this the end reult will most likely disappoint you unless you are not expecting a really nice finish. If the rust is deep it will take more work than most people are up for. I would send it out to get it either reblued or replated and avoid the expense and hassle. Buying supplies for a one time project like this would probably exceed what you would pay to have a pro accomplish it, if you are expecting a nice job.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6643 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have never been happy with a full cold blue. Rust blue is nice but not a learn over night ability. If it were mine I would just have it matt reblued. Shopping around you should be able to get it done for $80-100.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies so far. I have 2 quotes so far, 145.00 and 150.00. Sounds like this may be the way to go. Thanks again.

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Bighorn I sent you a PM

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote