Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted
I have just bought a gun with a kimber barrel how good are they

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends. When was it made? The older Kimbers were usually good quality, then they got into the business partnership thing and things sank for a while. I hear the current ones are pretty good, although I don't own a newer one, so can't compare it to the originals. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Is it one of those sporterized Mauser M-96s?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
It is a custom job on a Brno action, the barrel is a fluted one in 338 winchester. The old owner sold the gun to the gunshop and left for England.

Don't know much about the gun. Looks kind of well mad.

posted Hide Post
Flip,
It's anyone's guess how good that barrel is. How do you know it's a Kimber barrel? Is it rollmarked as such?

Toward the end of their existence (1989-1993), Kimber of Oregon produced the BGR (big game rifle) in limited numbers. Quality was reported as inconsistent.

I don't know if they made their own barrels for the big cartridges or used an OEM supplier.

The proof of the barrel is in the shooting.

How come people ask about things after they buy them??

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George, you hit the nail on the head with inconsistent. I have Kimber 89 BGR and it is starting to shoot like crap. I spoke with Cliff LaBounty and he said that Kimber paid $7 for their barrels and they were not very good to begin with. The whole BGR line was an exercise in poor workmanship but they still have a lot of people clamoring for them. I think most sit in a cabinet anymore. When I get back from RSA one of my tasks will be to refinish the stock and sell it.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
It has kimber stamped on the barrel, the gun can be called a gift, I was doing the guy a very big favor, so he almost gave it to me to call it mildly

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Customstox,

I have a M89 BGR in .375 H&H that shoots well, so I guess it came from the factory on a good day. Sort of like not buying US made cars built on Monday or Friday used to be.

Which action variation do you have and what caliber is the rifle? I am interested in the action for a project rifle.

thanks...jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunter Jim, it was called the sporter model and it was made in the last year. It has the Super America, double square bridge action and has a featherweight barrel in .257 Roberts. I don't think much of the actions either. They are rough and cheaply made.

Chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Chic,

Thank you for the information, but I don't think the action is what I am looking for.

Your Kimber experience and my Kimber experience are far apart. Evidently I was very lucky in the rifle I bought. I got it from a gunsmith friend, and he stands behind what he sells.

I have two actions on order from Montana Rifleman, so I will just wait for them.

thanks...jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<seven17>
posted
Flip,
I think you have one of the 98 Mauser conversions they did for a couple of years awhile back. My brother found one of them in 220 Swift and it didn't take long to find a load that consistantly groups 1/2". They should be no worse than any other average mauser rebarrel conversion and probably no better. I would have no problems owning it.