Notify
Tools

Bubba strikes yet again
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
OberndorfTypeB

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since "...The scope mount is included..." it's a real bargain Big Grin ! Seriously, I'm speechless.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the rear scope mount holes look offset to you?Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
does it have 2 safeties????... i see a side safety and maybe 1 on the cocking piece???

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two safeties?? Well if one safety is good, two must be better!! Yes the holes are off center, but perhaps that is some method of compensating for the wind?? Never cease to be amazed by man's ingenuity and imagination. Believe I will pass on this one.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wounder if I could bend a scope to compensate for the off set holes ?
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aw come on, he's only wants 900 bucks for it. rotflmo

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AAGH! MY EYES! nilly

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:

Yeah but a Mercedes after it hits a brick wall is only a $100 worth of steel.
This rifle was the victim of a drill press monkey

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:

Yeah but a Mercedes after it hits a brick wall is only a $100 worth of steel.
This rifle was the victim of a drill press monkey

You got that right!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Jez, please name the gunsmith, he would be real good fixing McDonalds toys. Second thoughts no, I think a three year old could do that better. Bloody shame for the Mauser, perhaps some judicious welding from a professional could fix it?

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
certainly more than just the bolt handle that is pear-shaped.....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a poor Turk....

Text says:
quote:
First I removed the rear sight with a propane torch since it is soldered on. It has to come off so you can grip the barrel. Heat it up and tap it off with a hammer. It was easy.

And here's that hammer again:

Then it's on to the barrel:
quote:
Now it was time to remove the barrel from the action. I bolted my barrel vice to the bench, clamped the barrel in and put the action wrench on the action. There was no way I could remove the barrel. It kept turning in the barrel vice. I adjusted things 10-12 times and absolutely could not stop the barrel from turning. Even tried lead shims - no good. I do not have a very good opinion of the Wheeler barrel vice right now.

But don't give up...there's always a solution:
quote:
Finally I gave up on the barrel vice. I used a belt grinder to grind a flat on each side of the barrel and then put it in my big bench vice.

He's on to a second rifle now. But here's that hammer again:
quote:
Then I put the barrel in my big bench vice and hammered the handle tight. Nothing I tried would unscrew the barrel. Hand hammer, sledge hammer, cheater bar. Finally I hit it so hard one jaw of my vice broke. I gave up at this point pretty disgusted and exhausted. I’d pulled something in my back. I’d been at this for hours.

Damn! Maybe Bob at the auto shop can help:
quote:
At this point I was real stumped on how I could remove this barrel and along came master mechanic, Bob, and asked what I was doing. I explained and showed him the barreled action. He just looked at it for a moment and said since the barrel is shot why not use a pipe wrench? He put the barreled action on the floor with the action wrench and big pipe wrench on it. He stomped on it a few times and we heard a Crack that was the barrel breaking free from the action. After that it was a simple matter to unscrew the barrel.

Oh! Bob! Bother:
quote:
Once the barrel was off I noticed that half of the first barrel thread in the action was damaged. I don’t think this will be an issue because it would have been partially turned off on the lathe during the action facing process. It will just have to be turned a few thousands more than usual. Does anybody know if this action will be OK to use with the face of the action turned a little more that usual or do I have to throw it out?

Time for a bit of filing now:
quote:
Here is a picture of most of the tools I used to remove the charging hump. First I removed the bulk of the hump with a belt grinder. Then I went to work with a mill bastard file and then a smaller file to help shape the charging bridge.

To be continued...

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
good thing he took pics on this procedure... im sure the defense atty appreciates hard work!!!!...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Wow

What workmanship, I cant fathom how anyone could be this stupid...........and prove it by putting pics & his step by step work on the net

Sheesh

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Oberndorf side mount is quite common. I had what appeared to be a genuine WWII sniper rifle in for cleaning recently. The scope was identically mounted.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Swedes were bad for using those side mounts. I have two Mausers out of Sweden and one has the same three holes and an additional trigger safety on the side. They just add the trigger safety and don't change the original Mauser one. I just wish I could find some decent plugs to replace the allen headed ones that came in the side mount holes!!!!

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The one thing I just don't understand is how someone can drill the scope base hole off center of the action.
It's not that hard to do it right.
Before I got my milling machine that I have now I used the companies machine tools to build a copy of a forester sight jig. Granted it took some serious time and thinking to build but now all I need is a drill press and I can do any sight install i need to. Or you could just take the thing to someone with tools to do it right. Some peoples children... my goodness.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote