THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Should a factory rifle just be bedded straight away before even shooting it ??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should a factory rifle just be bedded straight away before even shooting it ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My cz 550 22/250 arrives next week and it has a laminate stock. My gun dealer tells me he just gets a rifle "bedded before even shooting it as it just eliminates another variable"

This rifle i the varmint 550 with the laminate stock. What do you guy's think about this statement.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No. Shoot it first. I have a couple that haven't been bedded and a few that have. Glass bedding is used to correct problems in my world, not to fix nonexistant problems.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd shoot it first. It may well fall into the "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" category.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Shoot it first, then when it shoots 1/2" groups all you'll do is wonder if it would go to 1/4" if you bed it.
roflmao

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Shoot it first, then when it shoots 1/2" groups all you'll do is wonder if it would go to 1/4" if you bed it.
roflmao

Jee Fjold your making it bloody hard for me mate Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

On a wood rifle, which includes laminated, I prefer to fire it a few times first, then I bed and float it irrespective of how well it shot.

I prefer to shoot them first so that whatever wants to compress or move etc can do it BEFORE I bed it. But with something like a 22/250 it would not worry me too much to bed it without shooting it first.

For a new factory rifle I also like to shoot one first just to see how it goes out curiousity.

Mike

Posts: 517 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have your gunsmith or machinist friend help you affix a dial indicator base to the barrel with the indicator touching the stock. Then alternately loosen and tighten the action screws.

If you have more than .003 movement, it needs rebedding. If you have zero, something is stuck. Ideal is .001 to .003.

No guessing this way. I do this for customers all the time.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Shoot it first to establish "baseline" accuracy. If it shoots well, I'd leave it alone. If it don't.....tinker!

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, it more likely needs trigger work than bedding.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot it first, else you won't know if the beding has done anything.
John.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Absolutely not! Shoot it first! If you fool with it before you find out how it shoots, your "improvements" may be detrimental!

Here's how MY CZ 527 shoots with nothing more done to it than mounting a 2.75X scope!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes your all probably correct I should shoot it first. so thats the line I will take !!

Thanks Folks.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Yes your all probably correct I should shoot it first. so thats the line I will take !!

Thanks Folks.

Let us know how it performs!!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would shoot it. If it shoots good leave it alone.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO, you must determine if it likes to be free floated, bedded tight, or needs 3 point bedding with pressure up front and how much...

When this is determined, then you glass it accordingly...I say glass because factory beddin is so sloopy that not much can be done with it, best to just glass, you can't put wood back in there and they are pretty gappy..so glass is the way to go.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
PC,

I am not sure about in Oz, but in the UK CZ come with a 3 year warrenty. For that reason alone I would shoot it first before you do anything that might void that warrenty..

One my first 9.3x62mm the bolt had a tendency to bind slightly..I sent it back to CZ via the importer and they replaced the rifle no questions asked..It took around 4 months, but that was because the importer did not have another 9.3 in stock.

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete winchester Australia is the dealer here for cz and they have a 12 month warranty.

My mate had his .416 stock crack and winchester/cz rep[laced the stock within a week with a stunning piece of wood.......wish mine had cracked, but it was off getting a composite stock. Needless to say the wood was that nice my mate had it bedded straight away !!

I will take it out for a shot and see how she goes. My cz .22 hornet is not bedded and it shoots under 1"and if I do my part that little gun is poison.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd shoot it first. It may not need anything. Hell it may shoot .75" groups out of the box for all you know and it would be a waste of money. You can always do it later if you find you want to improve things or have problems. Most of my rifles have not been bedded and they performed plenty well as-is. I guess it depends on what you define as acceptable accuracy though too. It seems some people are disappointed by .4" groups and others would be tickled if it gave 1.5" so it's up to you.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458RugerNo1:
I'd shoot it first. It may not need anything. Hell it may shoot .75" groups out of the box for all you know and it would be a waste of money. You can always do it later if you find you want to improve things or have problems. Most of my rifles have not been bedded and they performed plenty well as-is. I guess it depends on what you define as acceptable accuracy though too. It seems some people are disappointed by .4" groups and others would be tickled if it gave 1.5" so it's up to you.

458 a review was done of this rifle in an Aussie rag and the best 5 shot group they got was a .63" with one combo and another was in the .7"s Thats as good as I want at any rate for my type of work. A foxes or roo's head is a lot bigger than .63" of an inch.