Find
Notify
Tools

Chrome Plating OR ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted
I have a customer who has several handguns that he would like to have plated. He asked for nickel or chrome plating. He wants something that is low maintenance and long lasting.In my opinion this leaves out nickel plating. With all the new hi tech coatings is there something better than crome plating but still looks simular? Who would you recommend to do the work?

Thanks

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had much rather have Enickel.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Parkerizing should be low maintenence. Don't you think so? Or does it have to be shiney?

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about the Metalife finish? It has been used on any number of firearms, is very durable and it is bright and shiney.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
High phosphorous electroless nickel is the best functional plating to prevent corrosion. This is a highly developed plating using in highly corrosive semiconductor environments.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
vip,
Yes, it has to be shiney.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Well, Thats two for nickel plating. The last nickel plating that I saw was total s#$%t. It had a very uneven surface finish and was peeling in places. But maybe I have judged the process by a poor job. Do you have anyone in particular you would recomend to do the job?

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Liles:
How about the Metalife finish? It has been used on any number of firearms, is very durable and it is bright and shiney.

Jerry Liles

Jerry,
I have no experience with this Metalife finish. I did a little reading on the internet and this is a chrome plating process. Having almost no personal experience with nickel or chrome so I have no idea which wears better. These handguns will see some use and will be receiving some holster wear.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had 2 guns hard chromed. It has held up very well. Hard chrome is much harder and more corrosion resistant than nickel. You can have it in a matte finish or shiny bright.