"High" Area Between Mounting Screws
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted
Not certain this is the best forum to place
this, but perhaps one of you guys can help
out.

There is a high area on the receiver for the rear scope mounts on one of my Sav. 12's.
This area is about half way between the mounting screw holes. I have a one piece
base coming which could help the problem, but said problem does cause scope
adjustment to almost bottom out to get to bulls-eye.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do about it?

I have no plans to send it back because this thing shot one-hole groups @ 50 during
preliminary setup with loaded rounds not even developed for it (.22-250 VLP), using
a 2-piece base.

Would a good base bedding job help out here, or should the high spot be machined
down to where this area should be? Since it is not a heavy recoiler, I am seriously
considering bedding the one-piece scope mount. Anyone ever do this?

Thanks.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Bed it. Just make sure that you use a good release agent on the action so that the bedding material sticks the base, not the action.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
On hand, I have Score High's Pro-Bed 2000 and Devcon 110. The Devcon would
be stronger, but I wonder about the metal "grit" impeding the process in such
a case as this. It is inferior to none for stock bedding, but would it be ok for
such a finely filmed metal to metal fit?

A GREAT release agent came with the Pro-Bed 2000.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DannoBoone:

Would a good base bedding job help out here, or should the high spot be machined
down to where this area should be? Since it is not a heavy recoiler, I am seriously
considering bedding the one-piece scope mount. Anyone ever do this?

Thanks.

If the one piece base does not contact the high spot you should be home free. If it does contact the high spot you might want to "machine" the base for clearance. If you screw up the base you will only be out a few dollars.

I suppose you could also do this with the two piece base.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote