New
Find
Notify
Tools

surface grinding for a mauser?
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
Who can I send a vz to for surface grinding and what should I expect to pay, and what's the turn around?

Jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack Belk if you can find him

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeffe,

Michael Scherz of Gilagunworks
928-783-3850 or Gilagunwks@aol.com

This is the guy that did the custom Winchester bases and sold them on this board for a while. He gave me a price to grind a 1909ARGI and put a set of custom bases on it while back. If I remember correctly, he wanted $100 for the grind, $70 for the bases and another $50 for drill tapping them in place. It's been about 6 months ago since I've talked to him though and I still don't have my rifle back from Gentry's, So I'm in limbo on that project .

Give him a call.

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe - The last (and only) person to grind a 98 for me was John Westrom. Unfortunately, he recently passed away. Almost any decent metalsmith should be able to do it. Mark Stratton and Mark Penrod come to mind (though both exceed "decent").

Just be sure to make it known if you want the side-wall markings left intact. I didn't and my action, though beautifully done, has nothing indicating the place of manufacture.

Mr. Stratton, by the way, makes exquisite custom bases, as I own a set.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Thanks ya'll..

DUH! Mike is going to do the 550 express barrel for me, anyway, so I'll have it done then.

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
Jim Dubell does very good work. I believe he is around $65. He is fairly fast also.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Scott Green does first class surface grinding (www.idahorifleman.com, 208-785-7722). Don't know what he charges.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been paying about $50 to $75 for surface grinding, I used to have Jack Belk do it but he has flown the coop and moved someplace in the boonies of Idaho or Nevada, near Jackpot, Nv I think, and is not doing any gun work I don't think...About 3 gunsmith that did that work have moved on to greener pastures around here and I am looking, so maybe I will give this Scott Green a holler....It is the only way to go IMO..sure classes a Mauser up neat and tidy, and its square to the world and QD rings and bases seem to return to zero much more accurately with everything is square without binding...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Scott Green

454 West Highway 26

Blackfoot, Idaho 83221

208-785-7722

He was written up in Rifle Magazine within the last year.

Here are pics of two actions he ground:

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

fla3006,

beautiful work, did he also make the ring bases?
thanks,
bob.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, he made the bases and the rings too on the bottom rifle.