Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Ruger #1...6.5x55 Swedish
 Login/Join

posted
I have been contemplating having a custom Ruger #1 in 6.5x55. Some years back, while attending a gun show, I saw my first Mannlicher rifle, and was captivated by its barrel.

As you may know, Mannlicher rifles are hammer-forged. However, unlike other gun companies that use this type of barrel, Mannlicher does not polish out the hammer marks. Instead they "jewel" them, for lack of a better term, and then blue the barrel.

My question is, where can I acquire barrels of similar finish to attach to my custom Ruger #1? Also, can I acquire Ruger #1 actions without having to purchase an entire rifle? Lastly, where can I contact a custom gunsmith who specializes in #1's that work for reasonable rates? (That is, their work won't require me to take out a second mortgage on my house.)

Appreciate your help, Shuckins

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
That would make a very classy little rifle. Are you going to full length stock it?

Brownells has the barreled actions for $481 dealer cost. I would imagine you could pick up a used one for less. As far as the barrel I would contact Mannlicher and try purchasing one from them. I wish I could help on the gunsmith.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
M1Tanker,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't decided about the stock yet. Would like to have a 22 or 24 inch barrel on it, to get a little more velocity. But a full-length mannlicher stock WOULD be awful nice...

Regards, Shuckins

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger sells a 10-22 with a similar pattern on the barrel. Call them and find out how that is done.

Other companies hammer forge barrels also. Perhaps a blank could be purchased.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote