Find
Notify
Tools

Flipping the Safety on a Winchester Model 88
 Login/Join

<Big Bore Bob>
posted
Preface: I'm a Lefty...

I bought a Model 88 .308 a few years back, not my favorite rifle, but had a chance to buy my Dad's old deer rifle back, so I did.

I would like to change the safety from the right side to the left. It looks feasable, but I don't want to start ripping it apart, then find out I really messed something up.

Anyone out there ever actually done this before?

I'd also love to find a factory .358 barrel for it... any known sources?

<JBelk>
posted
The safety is easy to change but you need a new safety made as a mirror image to the old. Bueller used to make them.

It's been many years since I did one but I don't remember it being a problem. You'll need a slave pin for the hammer lock, I think it is.

posted Hide Post
If you are refering to switching the safety mechanism from one side to the other on a model 88, it is very easy, simply rotate the sfety button 90 deg and push it gently out the small side. Once out you will notice that there is a spring loaded keeper which provides the positive location for on or off safety. Bye rotating it 90 deg you have caused the keeper to ride out of the grove. Simply clean and relube, switch the safety button to the other side gently re-insert using a small screw driver to depress the spring plunger till the safety slaides all the way and rotate 90 deg. in th ecorrect direction. Alway check that the safety functions properly with the gun unloaded.

Regards.

Ex570

Posts: 3 | Location: Ottawa | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote