New
Find
Notify
Tools

"old" Rem 700's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone ever used the older long action 700's without the anti-bind slot in the right bolt lug for a custom? I bought one in 7 Mag today;a beater ADL with the blued stainless barrel.Plan is to barrel to 300 Win Mag in a Sendero stock.I know a lot of 700's were made without this feature.How do you guys compare the two as far as bolt smoothness and resistance to binding with upward pressure on the bolt handle?I have both types here but I'd like to hear some experiences.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
rembo
I was not aware that the 700 ever came with out the anti-bind feature. You live and you learn though. But I do have a 721 that is chambered in 300wsm, and yes you can tell the difference between it and a 700 with the anti-bind improvements. To much upwards preasure on the bolt handle and she locks up like a jail house door. I won�t say the rifle w/out the feature is pathetic, but the improvement is definitely an improvement .

As far as the action you have is concerned, it will make a fine rifle that you can be proud of.

Good luck
Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rembo-

It sounds like we have identical rifles. About a year ago, I picked up an old ADL 7 mag with the blued stainless barrel. It doesn't have the slot in the lug either. The bore was in good shape, so I kept it as a 7 mag. However, the outside of the gun showed quite a bit of wear. So, I had a medium grey finish baked on, had the bolt mollied for smoothness, and added an H-S precision stock. A Weaver grand slam scope tops it off in Leupold rings. Its just as smooth as any other Remington I own. Good luck on your project. Gib

Posts: 130 | Location: Fresno, CA - again | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The slot and matching rail were added to have a feature similar to the Post-64 Winch Chesters. It was not needed and I wish that they had never done it. I've cut the clearance slot in a few bolts when switching bolts for whatever reason. The date of manuf. of the basic action is not a concern if you are accurizing them. Do be aware that Rem changed the angle of the bolt handle during the time the 700s have been offered. Not much change but it is there. Also, older 700s had the short bolt shroud which can easily be changed out if you prefer the longer/later style.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rembo,
Hit me at mattgarrett@earthlink.net and I'll forward a few pics of a full on custom based on an old Remington 700 stainless barreled 7mag BDL. In all truth there are many gunsmiths who PREFER the older actions. Dan Ross of DD ROSS amongst them... Some say better steel. At any rate my oldest is in the 336*** serial range.

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Matt. Mine is Ser #635XXXX,1970 I think.It's in pieces at the shop right now. I'm making up some tooling to true it up.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Celt>
posted
Matt,
Your 300 WinMag is an older one as well.
Check the bolt and action. If I remember correctly, it has no no "anti bind slot"

I think that 300 is pretty smooth too. [Wink]

Celt