New
Find
Notify
Tools

loose action screws on a CZ 527
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I tightened them firm and snug, some weeks later went to the range and they had come loose. Re-tightened them, zeroed the rifle, took it on a trip and the screws had come loose again by the time I got where I was going. Can I put a smallish dab of "temporary" loc-tite on them without causing myself later grief?

Thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a prof smith, but i'd certainly like to know why. Is the thread pitch too slow? Is the wood shrinking? Overtightened and stretching? Overtightened and compressing the wood? Others here will know better.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
I tightened them firm and snug, some weeks later went to the range and they had come loose. Re-tightened them, zeroed the rifle, took it on a trip and the screws had come loose again by the time I got where I was going. Can I put a smallish dab of "temporary" loc-tite on them without causing myself later grief?

Thanks.

Unless the screws are stretching which I would tend to doubt, you might be compressing wood. Pillar bedding would be the cure for that.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malm's probably right, (again) Big Grin I'm not sure if the 527 comes with pillars, but my 550 FS did. Even though they are loose and not bedded. Anybody else have a 527 that can tell us whether they come with pillars?

Tin Can , Did you buy this rifle new?

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the responses- I bought it new, and have fired it maybe twenty rounds or so. Usually when I buy a rifle, I take it out of the stock first and look it over. I don't recall having this problem before. It isn't pillar bedded, 527's have a small amount of some compound down in the recoil lug well.

These guns have a good reputation; however, I did replace the screws. I managed to chew up the originals a bit when I first re-assembled the rifle, and bought replacements from CZ.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have been more clear in my post above- I never shot the rifle with the original screws; the problem presented itself after I used the replacements. Maybe another set fromm CZ would be a good place to start.

Again, thank you all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The way I found out my 550 was pillared was by stepping on one (an aluniminum pillar) after I had taken it out of the stock. They're not tight or loose, but if you don't know they are there, they can get away.
Anyway; I'm sure you'll get it resolved.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
The 527 is not pillared, could it be the screws are the wrong size and will snug up but will come loose if you put too much pressure on them?? My 527 really responded to a very tight torqueing of the action screws, I was about to take it over to malms for a glass bedding, I still may

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote