New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Do I Unscrew.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This fastener for holding the older style lower Sako scope ring/base unit tight to the receiver.

I was thinking of taking my Weaver Magna Tip screw, and grinding the sides in.

The main issue is avoiding the center post. AS always, Thank you.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't you turn it with your fingers?
Your idea will work, so will a large
flat screw driver. Just be careful of fit
and don't let it slip.

Don't tighten it so much next time.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5967 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and don't let it slip.

George

Point taken. I put that scope on in 1986. I was thirty years old, flying fighters, and climbing mountains, i.e. much stronger than I am now. Thanks for the reply.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTDT myself.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5967 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
quote:
and don't let it slip.

George

Point taken. I put that scope on in 1986. I was thirty years old, flying fighters, and climbing mountains, i.e. much stronger than I am now. Thanks for the reply.

In other words “full of piss and vinegar “ Wink

I struggle with them now. Probably why went with Optilocks on my sons Sako.

DRSS

Posts: 1937 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Presuming that if the slotted 'nut' is screwed off there is just a short threaded shaft fixed in the scope ring base. I would file this off shorter so next time the rings are used there is nothing protruding in the middle of the slot. I always use a small coin between finger and thumb to tighten scope rings to bases. There is less danger of snapping the threaded shaft and a knife blade can be used in the field to remove or reattach a scope, screwdriver not needed.
Knurled 'nut' can be tightened enough by hand too.
The ones on those Sako rings could be chucked in a lathe and knurled for future use (they would be if mine).

Posts: 3882 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would grind the bit apply some penetrating oil leave it sit for a couple days.

Then give it the best try.

Posts: 19448 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would grind the bit apply some penetrating oil leave it sit for a couple days.

Then give it the best try.

A yep!

quote:
The ones on those Sako rings could be chucked in a lathe and knurled for future use (they would be if mine).

Hard to see, but they are knurled. I will limit torque to about 45 pounds/inch in the future.

quote:
I struggle with them now. Probably why went with Optilocks on my sons Sako.

People say the Optilocks are ugly. All I know is they are sturdy, and easy to install.