THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    best way to remove leftover bedding compound from rifle

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

best way to remove leftover bedding compound from rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted
folks,
quick question for you.

ive bedded a few rifles now, and i'm getting much better at it, thankfully... the first couple were a mess...

anyway, my latest one i broke out of the stock this morning, and everything looks good.... however, some of the epoxy ran a teensy bit farther than i expected, and i have a small area with it stuck to the barrel.

what is the best way to scrape the epoxy off and get back to a nice clean barrel/action?

something flat and wooden and lots of scraping? or is there some chemical i can use?

thank you for your help.

Posts: 783 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wooden scrapers are probably the best .
Chemicals probably would effect the bluing.
You might be able to heat to about 400 F a temperature where most epoxys break down though I'm not sure of the effect on the bluing though it would be safe for the steel.

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
the rifle has been coated in cera-hide by CCR, if that helps.

Posts: 783 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
USUALLY it will pop off the metal parts with just a little help if there was any oil on it before. You can take a fired case, put it in a vise and mash the mouth flat and use it as a chisel to pop the epoxy off and it shouldn't damage the paint too bad. But still, be careful.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hair dryer on hot, should peel off with a little fingernail work.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also try a little isopropyl alcohol with a couple of drops of mineral oil in it. Green rubbing alcohol works good too. This will wick under the epoxy and help it release with a bit of help from the edge of a sharpened credit card.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you used release agent, it will pop right off with a little encouragement. If that doesn't work, either a bit of heat or a night in the freezer will help.