New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front Mount Screw
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a used rifle and wanted to change to low rings. I thought I'd change the mount and rings to Leupold DD but found one of the front mount screws hex head had already been stripped. How do I get that SOB out. I'm worried if I drill it there wont be enough left to grip onto.
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If this is an allen head you might try tapering the next larger size (or a larger metric size) and tap it in with a hammer. It might make a fit that will get it loose. Any chance it's loctighted or epoxied? If so use some heat.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cranked some allens into some rings so tight they bent the allen key when I tried to remove them- I then drilled them, and they pretty much fell out.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a short torx bit slightly larger than the hex. Tap it onto the screw, then put a small wrench on the bit, put some pressure on the wrench while tapping firmly on the bit with the hammer. It has worked for me.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'll try your suggestions. If I can't get it to work, I'll drill it.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YUMAN:
Take a short torx bit slightly larger than the hex. Tap it onto the screw, then put a small wrench on the bit, put some pressure on the wrench while tapping firmly on the bit with the hammer. It has worked for me.
Lyle

Me too! If I can't get a bite with a hex wrench, then I use a little heat and the approriate size Torx driver with damned near 100 percent success. I use a Torx T15 on hex head screws that use a 7/64 wrench, and the T10 on those that use the 3/32 size wrench. I also use the Torx driver everytime I install these sizes. They fit perfect and they grip a lot better than the hex wrench.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On top of that, if you get the torx that fit the screwdrivers with the interchangeable bits, you can get more torque and better alignment than with a little torx wrench.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied. I tapped in the next larger torx bit and out it came. I think the tapping loosened it up a little. Thanks again.