New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitting of bolts to 98 Mausers??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Were the bolts on military 98 mausers individually fitted, or were they made in mass sererately and then given an individual serial number when placed with an action? I can see how the later would be true. Especially in war time. Just wondering.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
They were mass produced and are for the most part interchangable. The only problem with swapping bolts around though is often there's a few thousands difference between them and switching them around between assembled rifles can make proper headspacing dicey. As such I would assume that barrel installation was completed after the bolt was supplied.

Then, once everything was assembled, all necessary parts were duly stamped with the proper serial number.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what I suspected was the case. Given this, I see no need for a person to pay a premium for an action with matching #'s if he/she is going to build a custom gun. Any other informed comments would be appreciated.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
you are 100% correct. If you are going to yank the barrel any way you will need to set headspace for the new assembly.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matching serial numbers are far more important to collectors than they are to shooters. Hell, most old military rifles have been arsenal reconditioned at least once during their military life, and parts would get swapped out on a routine basis.

A friend of mine who served in Eurpoe during WWII said they frequently removed the bolts from captured Mausers and they would just toss them all in a box that would get shipped back to the rear with the rifles. I doubt many of those ended up with the same bolt they started out with.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote