Find
Notify
Tools

laminate finishes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted
What do you stock finishers use as a easy to apply, durable finish for a laminate stock? I`m looking for a matte / satin type poly and am leaning toward the everyday poly by Min-wax sold at Lowes or Home depot, is this a good choice or do you have any suggestions? Is there something better out there. I`m open to any tips to use when appling the finish if you have them.
The stock is a Boydes JR I picked up to get me shooting my new barreled M1999 until I decide if I want to stay with wood or go to a syn stock. I`ve used a few oil finishes (tru oil, Warthog) but I question how well they will work on epoxy filled laminate.

TIA.... Joe

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tru-Oil works fine but i use Clear VHT Automive engine spray paint, it's rock hard when dry and will hold up to any kind of gun oil or cleaner i've come across

Posts: 169 | Location: Never where you think | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
My first question is what color is your laminate? I purchased the same stock in the pepper laminate (black/grey). I love the stock. But where I screwed up is using an aerosol poly finish. It turned the stock green and yellow. I had to strip it off and go to a automotive clearcoat and it worked great. You will have the same problem with any oil type finish on the pepper lamiate. If it is the brown it would work fine. I am going to stick with the auto clearcoat finish on all future laminate stocks no matter the color. They are super tough and very easy to apply.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
M1tanker, Thanks for the heads up, the stock is a pepper laminate.
Do you have any idea why the finish turned color? I take it the finish it self changed if you were able to remove the finish and reseal, not the wood?

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I think it happened from the finish actualy having an amber color. When the amber colored poly was sprayed over the pepper laminate it made it look green. And spraying multiple coats just made it worse with each application. It didnt change the color of the laminate, the combination of the black/grey and amber made it look like it. I have found that the water basesd poly formulas dont turn it green either. But I dont think that it is near as tough as the auto finishes. My wife said she like the green better though. It was a real bright green to boot. I hope this helps.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done about 12 Boyd's stocks so far.

First time I did, I asked my wife, what does she use when she restores wood furniture.

Then I read serveral really old articles laying around from Writers like Dave Petzal.

After sanding them down, I use Formsby Furniture Workshop, " Traditional Tung Oil Finish".. I use the LOW Gloss one instead of the HIGH gloss. They have a real neat sponge applicator that I use and it makes it come out smooth without runs.

After a coat or two of that,( I apply in the evening and let it dry overnight and the next day) I lightly go over it with steele wool.

Using the same type of sponge applicator, I then use MinWax " Wipe On Poly" in Clear SATIN. I like the stocks with a flat finish, instead of a high gloss. This is Poly Urethane coating. After it dries, once again a light rub down with steele wool.

They seem to hold up just fine, as several have been out in some heavy duty Oregon Down Pours during hunting season.

I also love the way it looks.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote