THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    As long as I can still see the crest on an action....

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

As long as I can still see the crest on an action....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
is there still enough meat on the front ring to for it to be safe?

From time to time while scrounging up milsurp actions I see one that someone tried to sporterize and the gun ends up with a crest that can barely be read.

I have seen the threads showing old actions being surface ground to remove crests completely so am I correct to assume that if the crest is still readable the front ring hasn't been too thinned down?

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would depend. Generally yes, assuming that the action had not been rebuilt by the arsenal at some point. Often during the rebuild the old crest was scrubbed and a new one added. If that is the case, there is a chance that removing the new crest could result in too thin a receiver ring.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
In my experience I've never seen removing a crest take more than .015" of grinding which won't adversely effect strength. I've never heard of arsenal's replacing crests but I suppose it's possible.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
In my experience I've never seen removing a crest take more than .015" of grinding which won't adversely effect strength. I've never heard of arsenal's replacing crests but I suppose it's possible.

Well, lets see: the Turks refinished all their rifles in the 30's & 40's. All the 1903's which originally had German markings were scrubbed and new Turk crests applied. Same for their 1893's, etc. On some of those 1903's they removed a full .35' to .040" and when you factor in the .015" you mention to remove the new crest, well, you can see how it's easy to exceed .050".

The Yugoslav's scrubbed their M24's and restamped them when they rebuilt them into the 24/47.

Most romanian vz24's were scrubbed but I only saw a few that had been restamped.

So, yes, it is fairly common but limited to a few countries.

I would also caution to be carefull if you intend to use a Kar98.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The gun I'm concerned with is a Remington P17 Enfield, the front ring markings are not full depth and I was concerned.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, lets see: the Turks refinished all their rifles in the 30's & 40's. All the 1903's which originally had German markings were scrubbed and new Turk crests applied. Same for their 1893's, etc. On some of those 1903's they removed a full .35' to .040" and when you factor in the .015" you mention to remove the new crest, well, you can see how it's easy to exceed .050".

The Yugoslav's scrubbed their M24's and restamped them when they rebuilt them into the 24/47.

Most romanian vz24's were scrubbed but I only saw a few that had been restamped.

So, yes, it is fairly common but limited to a few countries.

I would also caution to be carefull if you intend to use a Kar98.

I'll say it again: I learn something new everyday...but some things I know already.

Thanks!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
I see lots of german K98 receivers with dovetail base mounts (AKA type mount) on the receiver front ring shocker( Not square bridge)!!!

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
The gun I'm concerned with is a Remington P17 Enfield, the front ring markings are not full depth and I was concerned.

M1917's are fairly tough actions and the breech end of the barrel is large enough in diameter that it leaves lots of steel around the chamber. You're probably fine.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote