Find
Notify
Tools

Rust Bluing Satterlee Safety
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Folks

I'm progressing the rust blue of a VZ-33 '98 in 257. However I'm a bit stumped on the safety, which is a Satterlee M70 style (for Mauser obviously).

I can't see how to blue it without disassembling, it, but that looks like it needs special tools to drive out those tiny pins.

Any ideas on how to proceed ??

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would blue it assembled. Blow it completely dry after boilings. After the final boil and card immerse it in a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone overnight and you should be good to go. I've done quite a few small asseblies this way.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whew - thats my sort of solution !

Thanks

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The pin is not very hard to get out. Clamp the safety in a vise and a gentle tap with the correct punch will get it out easily. If you can rust blue it I'm sure you can get the pin out.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Tentman:

I agree with Toomany Tools.

I've rust blued a three position Dakota safety after disassembling it. I just filled in the bigger holes and the bolt threads with clear silicon (Permatex) the night before I rust blued it.

When you are done, just push out the silicon with a punch and/or use fine steel wool to rub it off, dump the part in a sodium bicarbinate bath again, and you are good to go.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote