New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock for Mexican Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just bought an M1936 barreled action (with a sporter barrel in 7mm-08) -- I understand this is a shorter action that won't fit a regular M98 stock.

Any suggestions for good stocks for this? I'd like a good light fiberglass stock, and would also like to try my hand on a semi-inletted walnut jobbie to fight the post-season blues. (I have no fear of glass bedding.) I prefer a conservative design with a straight comb and preferably no cheekpiece.

Please provide web addresses if applicable.

Thanks,

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<manhasset>
posted
Hi John, I got a nice walnut one from Great American Gunstocks. gunstocks.com
Bob.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by manhasset:
Hi John, I got a nice walnut one from Great American Gunstocks. gunstocks.com
Bob.

Which one did you get? I'm considering their "English Stalker" as having adequate style to overcome its cheekpiece.

Also, what grade of wood did you get? As a relative beginner in fine wood finishing, I was thinking of getting the standard grade (defect-free) or select.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, one other option for you to consider. Get a utility blank from anyone and shape it to your preferences. A 95% blank has 95% of the easy wood left. All of the hard stuff is still there staring at you.

Inlet the action and don't worry about the gaps. Then glass it in and make a pattern that suits your needs and shape. You can redo the stock to fit you to a "T". Then ship it off to someone who has a Hoenig duplicator and the final inletting will be a 2 hour job and it will be near perfect. It will end up costing you a bit more in the long run but the job of inletting will be first rate. And that is the most noticeable things that separates a first class job from the rest.

[This message has been edited by Customstox (edited 12-18-2001).]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I just got a pattern stock from the gentlemen that Customstox recommended to me. It is fantastic. He will be doing all of my patterns from now own. Thanks Chic....

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote