New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington P-17 Sporter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A guy that I know got a Remington Model 30 Express that I would like to acquire. Please shed some light on this older rifle if you have any info. What is unique about it? Is it as strong as the P-17 or P-14? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Basically, it is a P14/17. Depending on what year it was made, it will have a variety of improvements. The original Model 30 was introduced in 1920, a 14/17 with milled down bridge and straightened floorplate. In '26 the striker fall was shortened, converted to cock on opening, and dectivating the trigger interlock, whereby the rifle became the 30 Express. The bolt stop was also changed, as was it's spring, to a coil spring. In '30, a key guide system was added, the bolt sleeve trimmed down, and the firing pin lightened. There was also added the 30S, or Special, with a higher grade of stock and trim. There were double stage and single stage triggers available. The original Model 30 had a height adjustable peep sight mounted on the rear receiver bridge. Common calbers were 30-06 and 30 Remington. I've also heard of 303 British versions and 300 H & H versions, but never seen one. The dating data comes form (paraphrased) Otteson's Bolt Action book. These really are great old guns, made form 1920 to 1940. Hope this helps. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan for the insight. I really don't have a desire to build a big bore out of any of those older military based actions, as the modern CZ 550 action is too good to pass up. I am thinking about acquiring this rifle because I thought it would be something unique to have. I will post some pictures should it become my rifle one of these days. Have a safe and happy holiday!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Mingo If you don't want it please let me know [Eek!] [Eek!] .
Where is it (what state) and how much??
I already have one, it was my grandfathers, and I would really like to leave it just the way it is.
I would also love to have a custom m30. You know; nice walnut, straight bolt handle, rust blue and a real mans chambering, say 404 Jeffery.
I know there not the sleekest thing around but they sure do play the part of a big bore.

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I just saw one on auctionarms.com:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=3627954

of course the action is ending in 9 hours so it will proobably be over when you read this....

gun is located in wisconsin.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Mingo the advantage of one of these P14/1917 Enfield's is that they are already sporterized and usually cost only $300-$350 dollars. A Cz550 action will cost $500. They are very good for converting into long case length big bores such as the 505 Gibbs and with a P-14 bolt can be one of the cheapest ways to built a 577 T-Rex due to the bolt design. If it's cheap enough don't pass it up.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote