THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Matching old stock finish, gunsmith suggestions??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matching old stock finish, gunsmith suggestions??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an old Remington model 14 which was built in 1914. The gun is all of 96% except for the fact that someone either refinished the stock or applied finish over the existing finish, it was not sanded below the metal surface and is somewhat close in color. The forearm has the original finish. I was wondering if anyone knows of someone who could refinish the stock to look original and match the original finish on the forearm?? I really like this rifle and plan on using it but would feel better if the wood matched.Thanks!

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem with "matching" the finish on a weapon made in 1914 is that what you are now looking at and trying to match is not what the finish looked like when it was originally done almost a hundred years ago.

What you are now looking at is a piece of wood that has 90 years of "patina" and personality imparted by sweaty human hands, gun oils, solvents, sun, heat, cold, dirt, grease, grim, etc...that have given it a certain look of its own.

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Buy a replacement stock or use the rifle as is. After trying to refinish many stocks they are never the same as a factory finish. It depends on what kind of finish was used and years of use has given it character.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply's guys. The wood on this gun hasn't really aged much due to use. It looks like it was probably put away for a long time which was why I was hoping to match up the finish. I have a few guns that have had a lot of use over the years and realize they would be impossible to match up. Thanks again!

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wiktor,
The people who are good at matching finishes and recreating the same "look" will cost you more than the gun is worth. Might not but the person I am thinking of is named Pete Mazur, Grass Valley CA.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote