Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 870 Wingmaster question
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster, 12 ga 2-3/4" only (not Magnum). It has a 30" full choke barrel with vent rib.
I would like to know is it possible to have a gun smith modify the barrel to except win chokes (screw in type chokes) and be able to use it for steel shot without damage to the barrel when using a modified choke?

Thanks Dave

Posts: 9 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave-

I'm not sure if Winchokes will work, but there are special "Thin Wall" chokes just for this purpose.

The older shotguns had barrels that weren't as "thick" at the muzzle, as compared to today's, which are made with choke tubes in mind. The thin wall tubes will allow older shotguns to be threaded & fit with tubes. "Standard" Rem-chokes or Winchokes or whatever require too much material to be taken out of the muzzle, leaving just a paper-thin sleeve around the tube.

A number of 'smiths offer the service, maybe somebody can give you the name of one that does it for a reasonable price.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and first post? Welcome to Accurate Reloading!! [Smile]

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good info Cold Bore.
I don't want to chance it if it is not doable. The Remington folks told me that for a new mag barrel that the frame would not take a mag loads, so I purchased another 28" barrel made for a 2-3/4" shell, (which was hard to find), for quail hunting. I like the 870 but really was not in the market for one but I could not pass up. A fellow at work asked me what it was worth and I gave him the range of what he should ask for it. Then he asked me to make him an offer. I told him that I really didn't want it, but he insisted that I make him an offer again and so it went.

Thanks again Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dave, Any real Gunsmith that has the proper tooling can do the installation for you. If you want some 1st Class work, go directly to the fine folks at "Briley".

They can provide the Tubes in 0.001" degrees of separation for the choke. And in good old Stainless or Titanium if you so desire. They can even adjust your Point-of-Impact and slick-up the trigger for you. But, they are not cheap.

Another alternative is to buy an aftermarket barrel which has the screw in chokes installed. Your local Gun Shop can get them directly from Remington. Or you can get a Cabela's catalog and buy what you want there. In addition to Remington barrels, Cabela's also has Hastings barrels which I've found to be excellent.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Buying a new barrel from Remington threaded for their Rem-Chokes would probably be cheaper AND simpler.

And if you decide to go this route, I'd recommend a 28" barrel to make the gun a little more handy...maybe even 26".

RSY

[ 07-12-2003, 18:53: Message edited by: RSY ]

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The older Rem 870 12ga 2 3/4" action had a different ejector, and guide. This is the long spring and bar inside the action behind the rear of the barrel when it is assembled.

In the mid 80's they dropped the 2 3/4" and only made the guns 3".

To replace the ejector the rivot (the front one) must be cut and removed. The guide then is recut to match the newer 3" guide, a new ejector and rivot installed and the rivet head polished down and the action reblued.

Have done this to many 870's over the years, one of my spare guns I reworked this way. It now has a 28" Remchoke barrel and Remington Plastic stocks on it.

The old barrels have a muzzle diameter that only allows the True Choke Thinwall tube to be installed.
They offer a extended steel choke tube for the thin wall chokes, I have used one on a Winchester M 25 for 4 years now and no problems.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello RSY
I called Remington and they indicated they did not make barrels for 2-3/4 shell for my 870 anymore (it is an older one, 1980 or so). That is when the discussion about 3" mag barrels came up. I contend that if the barrel was stamped for a 3" mag and I sold the gun I wouldn't want anybody to get hurt trying to shoot a 3", that is why I elected to stay with the 2-3/4" shell barrel marking, hoping to be able to get one of my barrels modified and be safe for shooting steel shot.
Thanks for the Response
Dave

Hello J Winser and Hot core
The option for taking one of my existing barrels (probably the 30") and have it modified for a True thinwall Choke sounds like the solution for for me.
Based on your alls experience, would it be able to safely handle steel shot for duck hunting?

Thanks Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no danger in using a 3 inch chambered barrel on a 2 3/4 inch receiver. As stated before there may be problems getting the empty 3 inch hull to properly eject which can be fixed by installing a new ejector. I don't believe Remington even catalogs a 2 3/4 inch only ejector any longer! In any case the danger lies in firing a 3 inch round in a BARREL chambered for the 2 3/4 shell. If the BARREL is 3 inch chambered it will be safe...

[ 07-12-2003, 22:47: Message edited by: gunnut69 ]

Posts: 49 | Location: central Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
gunnut69:

I have no doubt the spent hull will extract. What about the 3" hull being too long to fly out of the ejection port? That's the only issue without a work-around I see.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DA:
...The option for taking one of my existing barrels (probably the 30") and have it modified for a True thinwall Choke sounds like the solution for for me.
Based on your alls experience, would it be able to safely handle steel shot for duck hunting?

Hey Dave, Absolutely!

I mentioned the Hastings barrels because I believe they list them in Cabela's for the 2 3/4" receiver. Don't have a catalog near me at the moment, or I'd look for you.

But the thin wall chokes will work just fine for you.

By the way, there seems to be lots of new acceptable shot on the market. You could use the "Bismuth" in your current barrels and not have to change a thing. Plus there are more besides the Bismuth which is EPA Acceptable.

All this new shot is expensive, but it still might be the most cost effective depending on how much you Duck/Goose hunt.

One of my buddies has an 870 Wingmaster he bought brand new at a Western Auto store for $59.99 when we were (a bit)younger. [Big Grin] He has had about every kind of barrel imaginable on it and now uses an original 30" Vent Rib barrel which he cut back to 18" and left it cylinder bore. It is without a doubt the most deadly Dove Massacare Machine, in his hands, I've ever witnessed. Not too bad on hand thrown Clay Targets either.

Good luck with your old 870, it is an outstanding firearm.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hot Cor
Must have been pretty far back to get it for that price. Guns are really expensive now days. The one I have now had been on one duck hunt and shot 3 times, brand new condition...reluctantly paid 125.00. My first one was a 20 gauge that I bought in 74 or so, I think it was 200 at that time...I may be wrong. Also paid about 200 for a Ruger 44 Carbine sport stock and about early 70s. Got my wife a little colt diamond back at that time also. I believe we were paying less than 100 for Marlin 30-30s in the 60s (JM Fields at the time)Now days it nothing to drop 400 and up for a decent gun.
I picked up a new in the box 28" barrel for this one at an auction. I have looked in Cabeles before I found this one. Probably got took but there just wern't any available. Just got my catalog this week so I will take a look.

Thanks for the reference on the shells available.

Dave