Find
Notify
Tools

The good old days of gunsmithimng!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
June 1964. Hunters Lodge. I was a junior in high school & no money!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
You mean the good old days of gun buying. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Interesting the last line in the carbine ad, that California state law required different (5 rounders) mags in 1964.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember those days and the ads. Of course I was only making a dollar an hour wages too, so even in those days that price was not such a bargan. Bill

Posts: 111 | Location: Downs, Kansas | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
damn - i used to buy a bunch of stuff from ye old hunter

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Put me down for two of everything on the page!

I remember when gas was $0.55 a gallon too. Sounds nice now but I only made a $1.95 an hour back then rotflmo Not everything was good about the good old day's.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The good old days:

Dates: 1987-1989;
Car: 400 Horsepower 1969 Mercury Cougar Eliminator;
Place: Southern California, and
Necessary liquidity: a few grand in cash.

Three years of exceptional fun!

Today:

Actually, the best improvement to my life since 1989: my wife.

So, the good old days are still going on in my book.

Just a bit of philosophy in a canted world.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Yep, I remember the Ye Old Hunter ads in American Rifleman in the late 60s. And I remember you sent them a check and they sent you the gun in the mail. I made $1.50 an hour when I wasn't in school. I also remember not having $69.95 for the Parker DH 410 at Oshman's Sporting Goods.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$59.95 in 1964 = $425.38 in 2008

$29.95 = $212.51

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
Interesting the last line in the carbine ad, that California state law required different (5 rounders) mags in 1964.

Mark. At that time, California considered any semiautomatic rifle other than .22s with magazines that held more than five shots to be MACHINE GUNS. Yeah, even way back then although that that may have changed. I escaped from the land of fruits, nuts and flakes in 1970 never to return.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
bcp:
$59.95 in 1964 = $425.38 in 2008

$29.95 = $212.51

Parker DH 410 in 1964 $69.95
Parker DH 410 in 2008 $25K to $30K

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i remeber being in riley's sporting goods in texarkana and seeing a new remington xp100 in 221 fireball for $69... i was maybe 10 yrs old... daddy wouldn't let me buy it... so when we got back to west texas, i got the 'ol herters catalogue out and ordered a new herters .357 revolver for the same $69.... the lady at the post office in the small town i lived in, helped me with the money order and in a few days, i had a pistol in the mail....might be 1 of the reason's herters' went out of business.... but i miss them...and gas was $$0.23 at the time...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hey! Either you had to repeat a lot of grades to still be in high school in '64, or I really am getting old Confused

Sorry 'bout that wise-crack. Really, though, that carbine buy was not very good for the times. In 1964 DCM was selling virtually new M-1 carbines, delivered to your local railway freight depot, for $14.50. Had to be an NRA member to be eligible, but that only cost $5 per year in '64. I know that for a fact, as I got one of the DCM ones that year.

I think the better buys were the Mausers for $29.95

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those who pine for the long ago, should remember the outhouse at 40 below!

@$1.10 per hour (when I entered the work force) one of those firearms would have cost from 1/2 to 1&1/2 weeks of work (before taxes). At retirement I could have bought the most expensive firearm on that page for 1$1/2 hours pay (or less). Good old days? I think not! BUT at least then I was young! SO many guns---so little time.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The L-39 Lahti 20MM was a mere $99.
I remember it shot a bullet that weighed about 2100 grain.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote