Find
Notify
Tools

muzzle diameter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

How does one make the decision as to barrel diameter if rebarrelling? In other words, say I decide to rebarrel my cz 375 and want a 23" barrel, how do I decide what diameter muzzle so the rifle looks balanced to the eye? Hope I'm not being confusing...

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only re-barreled one rifle so far, but for me I pick the diameter/contour barrel for the caliber and use. For instance if I were to pick a barrel for a short action cartridge that would be used for carrying in the field and hunting I would opt for a thin/light tube, if the cartridge was a magnum I would step up to a little heavier barrel, but if the rifle were used for shooting targets or varmints I would go heavier yet to a weight of barrel that would absorb and disipate more heat from more firing. In short I wouldn't worry about asthetics so much as performance.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd look around for other rifles in the same chambering. Find one that looks and feels good to you, and then try come close to the profile of the one you like best. FWIW, I have a Rem 700 in 375H&H 24", .670" at the muzzle. I like it very much.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
When rebarreling a rifle for a customer or for myself I find out what the intended use is. For large, heavy recoiling, guns I like heavier barrels. I have built .375's with muzzle diameters of .650, .700, and .750. The .750 in a 26" barrel is a bit heavy if you are going to carry it, great on the range. The .650 in a 22" barrel is great to carry and is smooth in the field, it can be a mother on the bench. Figure out your intended use and go from there they will all work. Remember, heavy can be made lighter, it's harder to go the other way with the barrel.

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think my factory barrelled cz now shortened to 23" is about .690. a little stubby but nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An old German Gunsmith (Arden Warner, Oakland CA) suggested a "balance" Something like bore plus .250 in.....A place to start! But..as the bore gets bigger, the wall thickness can go up.

No rules here!, just use judgement.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that would make it .375 + .250 = .6250. wouldn't this be rather thin for a 375? or is it really a matter of preference?

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:
that would make it .375 + .250 = .6250. wouldn't this be rather thin for a 375? or is it really a matter of preference?

That would be darn near perfect! I have a Sako(FN) 375 that measures .575 at the muzzle. It is great, but maybe a bit light in the nose for some.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
can you upload a pic of that Jason to see?