New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 action question
 Login/Join

posted
Guys,

Is it possible/desirable to use a 700 long action (30-06 class) to build a 6mm Rem. rifle, or must a short action be used?

Thanks,
Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
A long action can be used

NRA Life Member
NRA Charter Member Golden Eagles

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The long action offers a big advantage if you like to shoot long for caliber bullets--lots of room to seat the bullets out further than spec COL.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The long action Remingtion is sized for a .375 H&H. While it would work it will be about .800 longer than necessary. The rear of a short action can be opened to make it about .125 longer but you have to make or modify the magazine box. It would be a nicer solution.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
The long action offers a big advantage if you like to shoot long for caliber bullets--lots of room to seat the bullets out further than spec COL.

Agreed.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Oliver:
Guys,

Is it possible/desirable to use a 700 long action (30-06 class) to build a 6mm Rem. rifle, or must a short action be used?

Thanks,
Jim

I have a 22-6mm that I put together using a Rem 700 long action and I wouldn't have it any other way.

With a little faster twist on your barrel you could have quite a nice long range rig.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The reason for the question is that I was cautioned by one builder that feeding might be a problem when using a long action for the Rem. 6mm or the 243 Win.

Comments?

Thanks,
Jim

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I am not a gunsmith so I can only guess at what their concern might be, so take this for what it is worth.

The only thing I could think of is the shell popping out of the feed lips before the bullet has entered the rear of the chamber and jamming up against the back of the barrel. Or maybe while still in the grasp of the lips it will jam up against the back of the barrel.

I checked mine and the case mouth is almost in the chamber opening when it is released from the lips. Even the shortest bullets are started into the chamber before the rear of the case is released.

The 243 case is shorter, but I tried a few of them also to see if I could get them to jam and they started into the chamber just fine.

Don't know??? Maybe someone will chime in that has more experience than I.

By the way, when this barrel is shot out, and it won't take long, I am going to rebarrel to 6mm. I really like the 6mm platform.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote