THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SC Winchester M70 Extreme Weather Question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone had success at installing and using any form of fixed sights on the new Extreme Weather rifle using the factory B&C stock?

I've ordered one of these made for Winchester B&C EW stocks through Stocky's to use on an older NH M70 that uses fixed sights. It will take around 4 to 8 weeks for the stock to be made and shipped. Today, I had a chance to shoulder one of these new SC rifles straight out of the factory box while I was visiting a gun shop. The rifle was as shipped, so it had no mounted optics. Due to the cheek piece, the rifle gave me the impression that it would be difficult to comfortably get down on a set of fixed sights. Maybe it would squeek by with a high peep sight with tall front blade, but it left me in question. I'm curious now if I should call Stocky's to see if I can change my order to have the stock made w/out the cheek piece. Curious what you guys think who actually own the rifle.

Thanks Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone runs into the same issue:

I called Stocky's, and this particular lightweight Winchester EW stock cannot be manufactured w/out the cheekpiece. Being that homeowner removal of the cheekpiece voids warranty, they couldn't give me a recommendation. So he gave me a number to call a tech at B&C.

I called B&C, and they were actually helpful. They confirmed that they only have the mold set-up for the cheekpiece, and they confirmed that I was not alone in asking for the cheekpiece to be removed for better fixed sight use. Being such an alteration does void the warranty, this option is not available in-house. But, they were able to recommend the route to go if I end up needing to grind that thing off. Said I could grind it off flush and use the fiberglass or carbon fiber reinforcing cloth of my choice, but they recommended Brownells' Acraglas as the epoxy to wet the cloth and stick to their shell material. Beyond that, gel coat and finish as you please, or send it back to them and they will finish the repair to make the stock look factory new w/out the cheekpiece. But, the warranty will be void.

I'm thinking if this stock does not work with iron sights, I'm not only going to remove the cheekpiece, but I'm also going to open the grip a tad bit as well. I reckon that will not be too much of an issue as the overall costs will still be extremely low. I've got a bit of time to think it over before the stock is made and shipped.

If anyone has some thoughts on this, I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with your last post. I certainly wouldn't let the voided warranty on a < $250 stock keep me from getting the stock fit I needed or desired.
If the stock is built well enough to warranty, then a slight mod is not going to weaken it, and if it breaks it was probably abused. I wouldn't ask for a new one if I abused one, I would take the responsibility myself (as I'm sure you would too).
I'd send it to them, ask for the mods I wanted (and I agree with the grip slimming) and they will probably take enough pride in their work to do a great job and not weaken the stock in the process.

Just my thoughts. You actually got me looking at these stocks and mods now, thanks!

Posts: 200 | Location: Garner, TX | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify:

B&C will not make the structural mods for me, that I'll need to perform myself. B&C did recommended how to perform these mods, but they only make the stock as it is configured in their Winchester mold. The service they did offer was to complete the final finish over my modifications so that it would appear factory new.

This service I probably would not need. I would remove the excessive material at the raised cheek piece and on the tight grip. I would then use a simple patch technique, similar to boat repair, and lay up an epoxied cloth over the areas that the high sections were removed. I'd then add a smooth gel coat and finish the areas myself using a matching epoxy paint.

BestSmiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, I misread your post. Re-read, and it was clear in your original description.

I still agree with the mods you propose. The wrist looks too heavy as is (I've got an HS Precision just like it,but no cheekpiece), and if the cheekpiece is too high I would not hesitate to cut it down.

When I was a kid I worked for a while in a boat shop, at that time I could lay fiberglass and gel-coat/ repaint quite well. Nowadays, it would cost me more to put together all of the required materials for a small job than it would be worth. However, I do enjoy doing my own projects, and if I had the materials would do exactly as you propose. Otherwise, I'd do the shaping myself and let them refinish and match the colors/ texture.

I don't see how this would adversely affect the stock in any way. I'd let them have the warranty. I bet the only thing they ever have to warranty anyway is initial gun fit, etc., so make sure of that first, replace if necessary, then modify to your liking.

Good luck.

Posts: 200 | Location: Garner, TX | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An update on the B&C stock;

All the metal work was finished up today on the rifle. While I had it in the shop, I made up a set of duplicate test sights with magnetic bases. I drove to town to test these sights on the new EW rifle at the gun store. I stuck the sights on the rifle and they worked perfectly with the cheek piece on the B&C stock. I will need to make no modifications for the stock to work with my fixed sights. I was happy for that. Smiler

So it looks like the only two mods I'll be making is to inlet for the barrel lug, and to open the grip a tad bit.

Later

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update:

Everything is going together as planned. Inletting was straight forward without issue, and the forward lug fits into the opening between frame braces. The aluminum chassis is square with the receiver having a precise fit without any slop. I intend to keep and bed the forward lug.

I made a test assembly to check the balance and weight, and it looks like she will be running around 7 3/4-pounds with scope mounts less scope. Balance is near perfect, and I have enough room to make some fine-tune adjustments. The stock does work with my low fixed sights, but I may switch over to a partridge blade with a slightly higher rear which would be perfect for the comb height.

As it stands now, the rifle feels like a well balanced 30-06 in the hand, it shoulders extremely well, and it points naturally. The overall dynamics appear to be an improvement over my older "Shoemaker" M70-416 copy. I will probably thin the wrist a tad, and will add some texture for grip on the wrist and forearm. So far I'm pleased.

Later Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't resist. I wanted to wait for my new scope to arrive, but I decided to test out the new rifle with the fixed NECG sights. Used my sighting board to regulate, placed one fouling sighter at 15yards over the chrono, and then posted at 100yards for a 3-shot group. I've got a winner! I'd been pleased to shoot a group this good with the scope, but with fixed sights, I don't see how I could ask for more. Smiler

I do so love the 416Rem out of a NH M70. clap

Later