Notify
Tools

Feeding problem with CZ 602
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
My new (to me) CZ 602 .375 H&H has what I feel is a "problem."

The last round in the magazine takes a bit more effort to chamber.

When pushing the bolt forward, it has a tendency to stick, and require another push to drive it in. When workign the bolt hard from my shoulder, it always chambers, but there is a noticable hesitation.

The magazine holds 5 rounds...I doubt it will ever cause a problem, because that is alot of ammo, but it bugs me a bit...

I'm guessing the magazine spring is pushing up in the bolt as the last round runs through it, but I haven't really investigated it much as of yet...too busy shooting it and getting nice little groups from it! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WDIK, but sounds like maybe your spring is weaker than needed.
If the bolt is rubbing significantly against the follower, you'll maybe see wear on the follower.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Gatehouse said---

quote:
it has a tendency to stick, and require another push to drive it in.
WHERE does it stick? WHAT causes it to stick? WHY does another shove do the trick? HOW does the last round differ from the others?

The answers to these questions will save a hundred guesses from me and others that can't actually answer them without seeing the gun. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]WHERE does it stick? WHAT causes it to stick? WHY does another shove do the trick? HOW does the last round differ from the others?

The answers to these questions will save a hundred guesses from me and others that can't actually answer them without seeing the gun. [Smile] [/QB][/QUOTE]

Okay...sorry. Shoulda known better [Roll Eyes]

It sticks with the bolt pushed about half way forward...the cartridge is still clearly visible. The cartridge has started up into the chamber, but about half of the body is showing.

I THINK that it sticks because it jams between the magazine follower and the right hand side of the action.

Another shove does the trick because I just force the bolt forward and it chambers the round, but it requires a certain amount of force. I actually have to pull the bolt back a bit and get a run up at the cartridge. [Smile]

the last cartridge is the only one to do this. The rest feed like greased sausages [Wink]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Through the wonders of modern technology, you CAN see the gun!

Sorry about the shadow...batteries died after this one photo...

-

one of us
posted Hide Post
Before someone who knows answers, I'll take a guess.
Looks and sounds like you need a stiffer magazine spring.
The front is jamming high because the back isn't being pushed up into the boltface area fast enough. You ease up, and the spring tensin does it's work, allowing the 'cat to slide under the extractor.
When you work tyhe bolt slowly, it feeds the last round, right?
The spring pushes up in balance with the contour of the feed rail opening, and it could be the spring is fine, but the rail on that side is a bit closed in back or open in front, but that sure wouldn't be that first thing I'd try.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Nope...

Fast or slow, it sticks [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse,
On a lot of these the ridge on the follower is a little too abrupt and too far to the right and doesn't allow the cartridge to move up as it should. You will notice that when a cartridge is acting as the ridge, everthing is fine. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Bill

I suspect that this is the case.

Is there a fix for this?

Or should I just make sure not to need more than 4 shells in a hurry? [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, The last round is the problem, it binds between the rails and the follower.

Is this a problem with the other rounds?

If no real problem with the other rounds, then the cause of the binding can be the following

Rough rails, The factory machining can be rough. Remove the action from the stock. Look at the action from the underside. you will see some brass marks. This is where the cases are moving forward and up. Take a piece of emery cloth, 240 or 320 grit. Using your finger too back the cloth up, stoke the rail section where the brass marks are. The idea here is to smooth out any roughness and not to remove any amount of metal.
Clean up the action and reassemble in the stock. Try to feed some ammo through the action.

If it still binds, Then we look at the follower. The case is binding on the inside of the follower. Again look for brass marks, This time you can polish any tool marks out.

Try it again If it still binds, The follower could be the problem or the magazine spring could be too strong.

Browning calls these guns that have to be fondled and stroked, female guns. You can get them to work they just need some loving.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try painting a dummy round with Dykem (layour dye). Where it rubs, it will leave blue stuff. Kind of like looking for brass marks, but you may have existing brass marks that didn't come from the bottom round in the magazine.

If you can tell me where it's rubbing, I will be of no use at all to you, but somebody here will likely take a crack at it.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HenryC470:

If you can tell me where it's rubbing, I will be of no use at all to you, but somebody here will likely take a crack at it.

H. C.

HAHA [Wink]

I always wait for Bill Leeper and Jack Belk to give their opinions...

Between the two, it seems no bases ever go uncovered! [Wink]

<JBelk>
posted
I think Jim Wisner has the right sequence of trouble shooting and repair, but would bet green dollars you'll end up with a "dish" ground from the follower ridge like Bill Leeper said that allows the base of the case to release from the "pinch" between follower and right rail.

There're two ways to stop the pinch..... one to grind the follower, one to grind the action rail. ALWAYS alter the cheapest part first.......never alter the hard to replace part (receiver) until there's nothing else to mess with. [Smile]