New
Find
Notify
Tools

mauser action shortning
 Login/Join

<jpruett>
posted
has anyone got any information on shortning a mauser 98 action.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Use the "search" feature here, it was discussed a while ago.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
jpruett---

I've done them for thirty years. What do you want to know?

<jpruett>
posted
where is the best place to cut the receiver-is .750 shorter the normal-what is the best way to cut it in a lathe or abrasive wheel then face off in lathe

<JBelk>
posted
jpruett---

I've always cut them with a hacksaw through the thumbslot and grind the action back until the tang screw holes are the proper "K" length. (That depends on who's bottom metal you use.) 5/8" reduction is normal. That makes the action 8 1/8 inches long, total.
The two halves are then bolted to the welding block and TIG welded together. It results in an action that has no thumb slot but there is a certain amount of filling needed at the top to attain it.

I see no way, or need, to face the halves in the lathe. There should be a gap of .020 or so between halves and a generous "J" groove for the filler rod on both sides of the action.

[ 10-10-2002, 01:31: Message edited by: JBelk ]

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I found this. Put the receiver on a mandrel with a lathe dog & cut almost all the way through. finish cutting through with a good hack saw blade.
 -

[ 10-10-2002, 04:26: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once took 2 K98's and cut them at different places so as to make one long and one short. I used the method that Bear Claw pictured above. As of today I have the actions ready but no finished bottom metal. It was not as difficult as it seems.Mark

Posts: 109 | Location: Sask.Ca | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A book called
"The Gun Digest Book of RIFLESMITHING, The Art and Science of Rifle Gunsmithing"
by Jack Mitchell

has a chapter dedicated to shortening the action, but it was done on a classic Winchster 70.

Pyrotek

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd bet dollars to donuts that the picture posted by Bear Claw is from the Mitchell book. It sure looks familiar.

Jack - if you are still reading this - any thoughts on welding up bolt faces and extractors for smaller diameter cartridges ? I've got a notion to shorten a 96 Swede and chamber it for .308x39

Regards,
Scott

Posts: 117 | Location: Sierra Foothills, CA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
one in the same

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A gunsmith north of Houston that I use on occasion had a neat mannlicher stocked, 20" barrelled "cut" 98 in 250 Savage sent to him for sight replacement. What a beauty...my dream rifle. Jack, what's the cost to do the "chop and channel" of a 98 action and magazine/floor plate?

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed:
A gunsmith north of Houston that I use on occasion had a neat mannlicher stocked, 20" barrelled "cut" 98 in 250 Savage sent to him for sight replacement. What a beauty...my dream rifle. Jack, what's the cost to do the "chop and channel" of a 98 action and magazine/floor plate?

Ed,
Email me, and I'll give you one of the smith's numbers around here that do it..

That being said, you can buy a charles daly "kurtz" with a 7.62x39 boltface for less than 300.
Jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote