New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass firing pin?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm working on a customer's Charter Pathfinder .22 revolver trying to solve a light strike/FTF issue. Crane is snug and there is minimal end play in the cylinder. Headspace is good. Mainspring seems to be adequate. FP protrusion is only .029 vs recommended .035-.045. That's one issue and I intend to replace the FP and the spring to be sure. What gets me is the thing is made out of soft brass! I've just never run across this before in a firing pin. The tip of the pin does not appear to be deformed but there is a dent in the aft part where it is struck by the transfer bar.

Posts: 3707 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beryllium copper. Supposed to be unbreakable. Charter has been making firing pins like that forever. Just replace it and you should be good to go.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Later (1888 or so) Trapdoor Springfields had firing pins made from a bronze/aluminum alloy.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Colt used some type of brass alloy firing pin in its 1900 semi auto pistol. That is the only one I know Colt did it to.

Savage used the Beryllium copper in one of its bolt action extractors in the late 1970's, and we are now seeing them break.

Charter used it as a selling point years ago, but I woulld advise replacement like you had planned on.

J Wsiner

Posts: 1450 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:
Colt used some type of brass alloy firing pin in its 1900 semi auto pistol. That is the only one I know Colt did it to.

Savage used the Beryllium copper in one of its bolt action extractors in the late 1970's, and we are now seeing them break.

Charter used it as a selling point years ago, but I woulld advise replacement like you had planned on.

J Wsiner

Yeah one of their cheaper bolt action 30-30s had a small post extractor made of copper beryllium and they also made them in the 110 for a time. Tough material compared to bronze but very soft in comparison to steel. The stuff makes nice, heavy engine, crank and high speed bearings if you can get past the cost. You also have to take precautions when machining it and run it enclosed or under a full flood of coolant. Like most heavy metals it's not to good for you.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
Like most heavy metals it's not to good for you.

Beryllium is actually an extremely light metal, but I agree it is very poisonous, much more so than any other metals typically found around guns (including lead). Turning or milling beryllium copper is supposedly not dangerous; however, one should definitely not grind, polish or weld it under uncontrolled circumstances.

Posts: 164 | Location: Germany | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got the FP and stronger mainspring from Numrich. I installed and it fired perfectly.

Posts: 3707 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote