Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-1958 Browning Auto 5 Locking Block
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I see that Brownells still sells the post 1958 locking block for the Browning Auto 5.

Where can I find the earlier one for a 1954 12 gauge with the thinner half moon machined runner that fits into the half moon groove in the bolt body?

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris,

Use the thin Dremal tool cutoff wheels and grind the half moon on the new block to fit the thin guide slot. Use layout die and check for fit without binding.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Mr. Brooks:

That's a good idea.

I might have a local machine shop open the bolt groove to accomodate the larger half moon, too.

I'll have to see if its cost effective. Otherwise, I'll have to see if I can find an older one, or use your advice with a new replacement part.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris

The locking block is a quick repair if you grind down the half moon. I don't know a way to open the breech block groove as it will be inside the block. When I was active in a large shop for several years that was our method to repair. If the barrel extention is good and not hammered back you should be able to make the repair. If extention is bad you will need some shop with the correct reamer and headspace gages to fit another extention. It takes an experienced gunsmith to do most repairs on the old Rem. 11 and the Brn A5's.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I talked to a smith that has parts and a tool he made to fit those narrow blocks. If you email me I can get you his contact info.
jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote