New
Find
Notify
Tools

Richard's Microfit update
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some of you may remember a post of mine back in January about a stock from Richard's Microfit that was cut in half and then glued back together. The company had UPS pick the bad stock up and said they would replace it with the next higher grade of wood to make up for shipping out the P.O.S. stock. The replacement arrived yesterday and this time was packed much better. The stock was a whole piece of wood this time. The inletting was rough but way to tight so there will have to be some wood removed anyway. The over all shape and quality of the stock are thousands of times better than the first. The Rosewood tip and cap are finished so well that I have just some minor sanding to do before finishing the stock. As far as the grade of the wood goes, its atleast one or two steps up from what it was ordered as. My only complaint on this stock is that the butt was shaped far to small. It will take sometime to grind a pad down to fit. Over all I am very pleased with the new stock. Its not perfect, but its workable and it was inexpensive.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update.
I am always looking for cheap stocks for my sporterizing habit.

Your relationship with Richard's is much better than mine with Boyd's.

I think I read in this forum that someone is buying basic laminated stocks from Boyd's and making them work. That may also be a winning strategy. Avoid the poor fitting and srayed with laquer items I got.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Dick's microfit blows. I've order a dozen+ stocks from them, been pleased with about 3. Never been very impressed with the folks they have (wo)maning the phone. Never again, I gave them more than a fair shot.

Good luck with them (you'll need it).

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have ordered a dozen or so Richard's stocks through the years. Most of them being their factory seconds. Of all of them, I was dissatisfied with 1. It looked like all sapwood. If not sapwood, it was the lightest, most homogeneous looking wood I have ever seen. I got another one that was cracked through the wrist from poor grain layout. I called and told them how it arived and they just sent me another. I offered to send the cracked one back and they said don't worry about it. Of the two AAA fancy stocks that I ordered, I am 100% satisfied. The rest were totally exceptable for seconds. My .02....Roger.

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote