New
Find
Notify
Tools

7rm to 7stw
 Login/Join

<Parker>
posted
I have some throat wear on my 7rm (rem 700) thought about rechambering to 7stw or 7rum any problems with either of these?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Parker,
Welcome!!

How long is the barrel, and does the 7rem still shoot well?

the 7stw will be MORE abrasive on the barrel, if shot the same way/time, and if the barrel aint 26+" I doubt you'ld see any "real" improvement in velocity. That is to say, if you have a 22 or 24" barrel, you might see some absolute gain in velocity, but hardly worth the time/effort/EXTRA wear.

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 7mm Rem Model 700 ADL for a project rifle. With the intent to find the difference in a 7mag and a STW before rebarreling. Its has a 24 in bbl. I worked up loads with 140 gr Nosler BT's and 175 gr Partitions. Shoot it for about a month then ran a SWT reamer in it. Velocity increase was +/-125 fps with the 140 and 175 gr bullets. The project got put on hold while I was on an international assignment. My brother shot a pick-up load of whitetails with it using the 140 gr BT during that time.

If your rifle is still shooting well, I would leave it alone. But if accuracy has gone, rechambering with STW is probably cheaper than setting the barrel back and chambering for 7mm Rem Mag.

Saludos.....Frank

Posts: 145 | Location: Katy, Tx | Registered: 06 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a 26" barrel the stw is a great cartridge and you will see over 200fps increase.If the barrel is 24" or shorter it will not produce best results with the stw.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote