Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Repair - 9.3x62mm
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted
The rifle on auction at9.3x62mm Rifle has a stock crack.

My question is:

Would a repaired stock be functional with this cartridge?
If not, then a new stock would be required, are there any recommended sources?
Are mounts available for this action?
Low safety?

How good are these actions?

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hobie,

Let me start by saying that my stock repair experience is limited. However, I have been a hobby woodworker for ~10 years now, and have done a fair amount of repairing old furniture, including things that get a lot of weight bearing stress (like chairs).

I would guess that stock split may be related to tight bedding around the rear tang, which acted like a wedge under recoil. It could certainly be repaired, with epoxy and a pin, and end up as strong or stronger than it was. Would you mind if a brass pin showed? If so, it could still be repaired -- it gets a little more complicated when you want it hidden. I have made "hidden" repairs with small screws, pins, etc. by using a gouge to lift out a plug of wood, insert the pin, then glue the lifted out plug back in place. You can often see that something was done in that spot, but it's less obvious that the end of a brass pin. You can also countersink the pin, and just plug with a closely matching piece of wood, but it's hard to match grain and color exactly.

Before bidding, I would ask specifically if there is any other wood splitting or damage -- ask them to pull the action from the stock. If it backed up enough to split the grip area, there may also be a split in the area in front of the trigger, or behind the recoil lug.

Hope that helps.

Todd

P.s. that gun has been floating around auctions sites a while -- if it doesn't sell, contact them and see if they'll take a reasonable offer.

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I know that gun has been around for a while. I think I've seen it in 6 different auctions myself.

I don't care if the repair shows and I know how to do it, and have done it. However, I've never lived with the repair so don't know how mine held up. I never heard complaints, but not all would have been able to find me to complain (they moved, I moved, etc.)

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
It split because the recoil area was beaten out and also split. Count on replaceing the stock. I don't think it's worth it on a '96 action.

<Phil>
posted
Just a thought -
The minimum bid on the link above is $400. Seems like about twice what the rifle would be worth, in my most humble opinion. Add a couple of $20 bills to that and one can find a brand new CZ550 in 9.3x62 on a decent piece of wood at least equal to this one - with no cracks. Included would be a "low" safety and a set of scope rings (although they are a little heavy and clunky compared to a top-of-the-line set of Talley's).

The auction gun would probably make a good project and could likely turn out to be quite a shooter. There are quite a few replacement Mauser stocks which would fit with a little work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't even notice the price when I pulled it up. When I suggested 'reasonable offer' above, I was thinking $~175 -- guess that would have gotten a dial tone.

I didn't realize they made an x62 on that action -- is this likely to be an opened up x57?

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is not a 98 action. It is an earlier one (94?) and is not particularly suited to modern 9.3x62 loadings.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sure looks like a 96 to me........

Here in Sweden rifles like that useally cost around 50$

Prices on HVA:s with 98 actions have gone up in the last few years here. They are still resonable priced and if you look around a bit you can find a rifle in the 640 series for under 100 $.

The 9,3X62 have made a "come back" here to, the prices have gone up a bit on the HVA 9,3:s.

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<sbhva>
posted
Watch out for Buffalo Brothers. Their Husqvarnas are way over priced for the condition.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
First, I want to thank everybody who responded. I'd like to note that all responses were reasoned and good solid advice. Again, Thank YOU! In light of which response I will, once again, be like all others who have seen their many auctions of this rifle and, pass on it.

Now, to respond:

1. Did not realize it was a 96 action. Thanks for pointing that out.
2. I also thought it was overpriced.
3. Figured that there might be something wrong with the seller(s) if this was the 6th time they tried to sell the rifle without changing anything. I think we all know that the defintion of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.
4. I know about the CZ550 rifles. I am pondering that move. I'm also looking at converting a Ruger 77 MK II. If anything I am flexible. I am not afraid to modify what I get either.
5. The crack looks like a split to me. BIG difference.

I really have it in my head to get a 9.3x62. While it may be unlikely that I will get to hunt in Africa with it, it appears to have more functionality than the .35 Whelen cartridge. It is also odd enough to interest me. Of course, I can do without it. This is after all a hobby, not a job, and I have plenty of rifles in suitable chamberings with which to hunt in the good old USA.

Again, thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not repair it with glass and then glass bed the whole thing...It will then last forever. Its not worth a new stock, but those guns still bring $400....even repaired.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Ray,

So you think that gun is worth the money?

I've glass bedded a couple of guns, one of which I used for a couple of years before traiding out of it, the other a Model 1894 (made in 1943) which I traded a $55 sofa for (easier to move the gun across the country than the sofa!). I still have the M1894.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's worth $400 -- a while back, there was another Husqvarna in 9.3x62, this one on a 98 style action (?46), that went for somewhere in the $300's. And it was NOT a fixer-upper.

Two things I have noticed on gun auction sites: there are rarely any "new" listings for the kind of items I look at (which are generally things like this gun) -- and, it you keep re-listing it, eventually the right sucker, er, customer will see it.

I understand completely why you would rather buy some old junker to fix up, versus spending the same amount of money on a new gun that doesn't need any tinkering. Tinkering builds character in a gun.

Good luck,
Todd

[ 11-03-2002, 05:54: Message edited by: Todd Getzen ]

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
There also was this "Sedgley" Springfield in 9.3x62 that the fellow had on GunsAmerica, Gun Broker and Auction Arms (I think all at the same time once) for quite a while. His copy was really "in your face". People bid but never up where he wanted it, apparently, as it kept reappearing. Guess the last auction took.

That sort of approach will never work with me. Give me the facts, show the pics and let me decide. If I'm ignorant I'll ask for info, if I'm not I'll keep my pie hole shut and make the decision on my own. But never, ever talk down to me or that rifle (or whatever) could be one thin dime and I'll leave it in your hands.

Two things I've learned about 9.3x62s is that they are hard to get around here and probably worth the effort. We'll see.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Hobbie you can get a Lothar Walter barrel threaded for a large ring 98 & chambered in 9.3x62 for 150.00 + shipping.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hobie,

I remember that Sedgley -- the seller had the nasty message about "Jethro, I'm not Santa Claus..." I was tempted to start bidding in penny increments, but decided not throw gas on that fire. IIRC, it was a low serial #, in General Hatcher's "never to be fired" category!

I have bought several things off of those sites -- just be patient and soon enough, you'll get what you want at a decent price.

Todd

one of us
posted Hide Post
This site have probably been posted here before but it�s a goldmine for Husqvarna lovers [Big Grin]

http://hem.bredband.net/b102212/index.html

You will find all the info you need on this page about HVA rifles!

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote