Find
Notify
Tools

Polish m44 Sewer-Pipe
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
So I have three m44's. All have nice bores, real sharp rifling, two have nonexistant crowns with the rifling gone from improper cleaning.

I have tried one and it shoots all over. 10" groups at 100 yards with the Winchester 7.62x54mm Russian.

I slugged the bore using soft sinker lead and found the bore diameter is 0.303" and the groove is 0.314".
Using calipers I measured the "unissued" m44 and it has same dimensions.

Looks like I will be swageing bullets for these rifles from now on.

What to do with the two Poles that need fixin'?

I am thinking of renting a hand reamer and reaming the muzzle back in about 2".

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a VZ24 that has been counterbored at the muzzle to a depth of just about 2". I think this was a common arsenal fix for worn muzzles as I have seen this on other Mausers. This rifle shoots around 2" +/- at 100 yards.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I converted a Polish M44 to 45/70 single shot with a Shilen .452" barrel blank. Acutaully it is a .452/70 wildcat, but uses 45/70 brass.

I like the Polish wood the best of any 91/30 variant that I have worked on.  -

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While they are spec.ed for .308 bullets, the .312 flatbase ones seem to work quite well (they will opeturate(sp)). One caution however, just because the bore is oversize dosn't mean the chamber neck is. You might want to consider chamber casting the neck area before moving up to the fatter bullets.
Also the M-44 is said to shoot better, and closer, to point of aim if you extend the bayonet (or as my Polish buddy calls it "the Polish range finder")

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger Rothschild:
So I have three m44's. All have nice bores, real sharp rifling, two have nonexistant crowns with the rifling gone from improper cleaning.

I have tried one and it shoots all over. 10" groups at 100 yards with the Winchester 7.62x54mm Russian.

I slugged the bore using soft sinker lead and found the bore diameter is 0.303" and the groove is 0.314".
Using calipers I measured the "unissued" m44 and it has same dimensions.

Looks like I will be swageing bullets for these rifles from now on.

What to do with the two Poles that need fixin'?

I am thinking of renting a hand reamer and reaming the muzzle back in about 2".

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Guess I'm not the only one with that ailment [Frown]

I did notice the buggered crown, and tried to clean it up with a brownells tool, but guess I'll need to shorten the barrel up a tad and try again.

I got one with thoughts of making a 480 carbine, but didn't realize how difficult it would be to get the magazine work, heck it doesn't even feed milsurp ammo!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger..
It would seem that a re-crown is in order. Most 44's that I've shot will do about 4-5" groups with the bayo folded. Extend it and groups often shrink quite a bit. My Polish really likes heavier bullets in 203 gr. as does my 91/59.

The Winchester ammo is made for them by Sellior & Bellot.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote