New
Find
Notify
Tools

What does pillar bedding mean?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a Weatherby Sub MOA rifle, and on the website it says that it's pillar bedded. I was just wondering what that meant.

Posts: 67 | Location: Lubbock Texas | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just had it explained to me here on AR a week or two ago. You could search for that thread on Pillar Bedding.

Suffice it to say, the way I understand it, it is to keep your top metal and bottom metal in constant vertical pressure. I was told that it is not to keep the metal from moving forward and backwards. In other words, the action screws are not supposed to touch the Pillars.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The original use for pillars was to keep from crushing the foam in benchrest stocks and thereby changing the torque and stress on the action. Now that they are glued in, that point is moot.

In a properly glass-bedded wood stock or top quality synthetic they are useful for charging clients a little extra fee, not much else. In the injection-moulded and softer sporter synthetics, they still aid in the crushing issue.

Whoops, I misread; I thought you said why, not what. The pillars are metal columns imbedded in the stock where the action screws go through the stock. They will be drilled a little oversize so the screws don't touch the inside of the holes.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbrowntx:
I just bought a Weatherby Sub MOA rifle, and on the website it says that it's pillar bedded. I was just wondering what that meant.

Look where the action screws go into the stock and you'll see what looks like washers there. They are actually metal tubes that the screws go through and pull the action tight. They should give you more consistent pressure when you tighten the screws and prevent you from compressing the wood of the stock.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote