Find
Notify
Tools

blueing on a Rem 700 ADL Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
Just picked up two ADL Rem at my local Wal-Mart this past month or two and can't get the blueing to look (BLACK) more like (BROWN/RUST).

I have scrubed both of them down with WD-40 and a toothbrush then oiled them up but still kinda ugly. This hurts nothing as I picked these up for "first guns" for future grandkids but would like to clean them up better if I could.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Put down the tooth brush and slowly back away. Big Grin

Unless you are applying "black" shoe polish with the tooth brush, then you are not going to change anything except perhaps wear the finish down. Bluing is a process of controlled oxidation (rust) and will appear at times dark brown. If you have ever wiped a new gun down with an oily rag, the rag will appear rusty, it is. Don't be too concerned about it, it is what it is.

Try using a "black" rag (an old black tee shirt) when wiping down a matte finished gun. The lint from the black rag will blend in with the finish better than a light colored rag. Seriously.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing you got in on the $300 Wallyworld closeout specials too? Several of those ADL rifles found their way home with me. (I've still got one .30-06 hidden in the corner that's soon to become a .280AI) Yes, I noticed the same brown color on a few of them, mainly on the receivers.

A quick fix that may help would be to degrease the metal then apply a good cold blue. Brownells' OXPHO-BLUE is my favorite, it seems to take well on that matte finished metal and significantly darken the color. Follow up with a good lube like BreakFree CLP

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm guessing you got in on the $300 Wallyworld closeout specials too?

$325. with $35. rebates .243 and 30-06 with no sights is what I picked up

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote