Find
Notify
Tools

Stripping Polyurethane from a stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted
Can anyone recomend a good stipping compound for removing a polyurethane finish. Thanks in advance for your sage advice.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jasco Paint and Epoxy Remover

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A piece of glass works well also, just use a small piece as a scraper.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6643 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a paint remover for two component paints.
Polyurethane finishes can be quite resistant.
Very often you need two or more applications to get the finish off. Be sure that all the finish is removed if you want to apply a hand rubbed oil finish, because remaining finish will show as bright shiny parts when the oilfinish is completed!

Use a sharp knife or a piece of glass

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a gel type pain stripper usually available from good hardware stores, apply with a brush watching for splashes in one's eyes.

Once the surface starts to crack and lift remove the degraded varnish with steel wool. Be careful not to overload gel onto the cheqeuring, use a small toothbrush to remove the gel from here.

Onc steel wool has removed the degraded gel, use a finer grade steel wool to smooth off the wood, then use a damp cloth on the wood to "whisker" the grain, this will cause small whiskers to rise which again should be steel wooled off, once the stock is dry and smoothed off, you can start to re-apply the chosen finish.

The process sounds a little tedious, but with care can result in a nice looking stock, especially if an oil finish is subsequently applied. Good luck

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help folks!

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't like using paint stripper which I don't, as suggested above scrapping works well. The back side of a hacksaw blade works, a blade from a plane works well also, it you use the plane blade you don't want it sharp. Any piece of thin steel with a blunt edge will work. Tape up your checkering first.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest Citri strip. You can buy it at Walmart for about 8 bucks. Put on a thick coat and wrap the stock in aluminum foil for about 30 mins ( the wrap is supposed to help the stuff work). then brush it with a stiff nylon bush and clean up with mineral spirits. Ihis stuff will even work on the remington and browning finishes. Let us know how it comes out.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, chemical stripping is preferable to scraping a finish off. Unless you are extremely careful and talented with your tools you can end up altering the demensions/contours of the wood under the finish, and since scrapers are flat you can end up with ridges that will then have to be removed and blended in.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Another vote for JASCO; but don't get it on you as it burns!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another vote for JASCO; but don't get it on you as it burns

Why I don't like chemical strippers, and wearing rubber gloves bugs me also. I will just be careful with a scrapper.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote