New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Gunsmith for Rebarrel in the Boise, ID area
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for a Good gunsmith to rebarrel a pre64 Winchester in the Boise, Id area. Also one that won't keep my gun for the better part of a year to get it done. Thanks

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George Vais,
High Tech Gunsmithing,
(208) 323-7674

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LD is he the Vais Muzzlebrake guy?

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup,

He sold the rights to that design a few years back when he decided to move back to Greece. That didn't last too long; he moved back to Boise about five years ago.

He is building suppressors these days. They are very efficient. He understands sound and gas pressure waves on an intuitive level.

I got into it with him about three years ago over something. I got over it as soon as I needed another barrel fitted. He does good work and has a very quick turn-around time.

Opinionated. Never run into that in the world of gunsmithing before or since (ahem).

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was supprized that in the local boise yellow pages gunsmiths were scarce. I know there is a guy around Wilder and one in Emmett but dont know how good, Sharms Smiths in New Plymouth But is kinda retired.
I thought there was someeone pretty good in Boise but cant remember, and none of the gun shops know.

Maybe call the Boise Gun Co and ask , Good luck , or look elsewhere.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'll call George on Monday, otherwise I may have to go out of the area. Anyone have a sugestion on a good smith to do a rebarrel on a pre 64 win to 280AI that I could ship my rifle to. Have been looking at some of the inhouse smiths that a few of the barrel makers have but they seem kinda steep, Hart wants $600 to rebarrel but then again I havn't been in contact with a good smith to see what they charge either. Whats a good price to expect? Thanks again

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you have a barrel already?
That will be the biggest part of the cost, and the biggest part of the wait.
To have a Krieger (or similar quality) barrel put on is going to go through $500.00 or so like green grass through a young goose.

Most of the good smiths are backed up with work. So it will take a while. George is a unique case. He has the skill and experience, but in essence is starting all over again after coming out of retirement.

Like everything else in life, you have to set your priorities:

1. Done really well.
2. Done fast.
3. Done cheap.

(Pick one of the above)

LD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ooooops,

bearcat,

It just sunk into my thick skull that you are wanting to rebarrel to a 280 Ackley Improved. George is pretty opposed to the AI calibers from a feeding and functioning point of view. If you live in Boise, just stop by his shop. It is in the mini-industrial park at the corner of Cole and Franklin, Southeast corner.

LD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not Boise but Bauska in Montana does good work, So do Dennis Olsen. No suprises with either, I know Bauska is backed up right so your going to have to wait some ( not a year) with him.

You might talk to Bill Trout down in Eagle, he is a top drawer stockmaker and if anybody would know the local talent down there, he would. I was just fondling a G33/40 he finished, and it had a nice quarterib on it, don't know who he had do that barrel, but it was built right, it was a very nice rifle.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bearcat,
I'm in southeastern Idaho, Soda Springs. I'd be glad to talk about your project. I do Bill Trout's stock duplicating and a few other projects for him.
PM or call me if your interested.

Shane Thompson

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bearcat, Shane does excellent work, you can rely on that.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by idgnmkr:
Bearcat,
I'm in southeastern Idaho, Soda Springs. I'd be glad to talk about your project. I do Bill Trout's stock duplicating and a few other projects for him.
PM or call me if your interested.

Shane Thompson

Then your going to be whittling a English Blank for a Model 70 real soon, I bought the blank he found me, just haven't got him on it rolling yet. Maybe the next few weeks.

quote:
Idaho, Soda Springs
Man, I like your mule deer hunting down there.

The last time I saw Bill he had a Exhibition grade English blank for a shotgun that he paid over $1500 for, did you whittle that, boy that was a awesome piece of wood, stunning is the right word I think.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
schromf,
He mentioned the Model 70 project coming up. In fact I think the piece of wood you bought may have been one he got from me. I'm not sure if I turned the exhibition english blank for him or not, I see so many nice blanks they tend to escape my memory. I would say if it was done within the last three or four years then I probalbly did. I have several in the shop to do for him right now. I do my best to keep him in work so I hope I'm not the bottle neck on your model 70.

We do have some great mule deer hunting down here although it's currently on a slow comeback. If your down this way hunting look me up.

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do my best to keep him in work so I hope I'm not the bottle neck on your model 70.

No the delay is on my side, two items really, bought a Dumoulin at Christmas that I talked myself into, and I can't decide if I want a Niedner steel buttplate or a rubber pad. I suspect I will get him rolling in February sometime on this.