New
Find
Notify
Tools

reboring and rifling?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have any of you guys tried this? If you have, who did you use and why? I am currently looking into doing this, but I have only found three guys that do it. Any help or suggestions would be gladly accepted.

Thanks,
Britt

[ 11-19-2003, 14:18: Message edited by: Bang ]

Posts: 92 | Location: Sulphur, La. | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had it done once when I had to reuse the barrel (custom half round/half octogon)on the rifle. If you do not HAVE TO, rebarrel instead of rebore.

Posts: 73 | Location: Huron, Tn | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Had it done 3 times by Cliff LaBounty (LaBounty Precision reboring) in Washington State. The cost is almost as expensive as a new barrel so it is most appropriate when you want to preserve the appearance of a particular rifle like a 38-40 lever gun rebored to 44-40.. It makes a lot of sense if you want to keep a factory barrel on a Ruger Redhawk conversion to .500, too. His principal business is now reboring double rifles that are eroded or corroded.

[ 11-19-2003, 18:08: Message edited by: tiggertate ]

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The current issue of RIFLE has an article about reboring and a list of reborers.

LaBounty did mine, a BLR from 30-06 to .35 Whelen. Was cheaper than rebarreling because of the sights and such.

Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bang:
Have any of you guys tried this? If you have, who did you use and why? I am currently looking into doing this, but I have only found three guys that do it. Any help or suggestions would be gladly accepted.

Thanks,
Britt

Richard Nickel ( since gone to his reward ) rebored my Savage 24V from .223/20 to 6x45mm/20, which worked out quite well. No other good way to make it a WY-legal sage grouse/antelope gun.

Posts: 14631 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had Dick Nickles rebore my 308 into a 338-08. His unfortunate death occured half-way through the process. Dick's son recommened Cliff LaBounty to finish the job and he did a superb job.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a telephone number and address for Cliff LaBounty? Thanks, Mike

Posts: 918 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LaBounty Precision Reboring.
7968 Silver Lake Dr. PO Box 186
Maple Falls, WA 98266

(360) 599-2047

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
There's a pretty long list of people who do this in the Manufacturer's section of the Gun Digest.

Yes, I have had two rifles rebored/rerifled. One was a .33 WCF M1886 Winchester that I converted to .45/70, and the other was an M71 Win. in .348 that I had redone to .450 Alaskan. Both of mine were done by the old Atkinson & Marquardt Rifle Company of Prescott, AZ. They turned out very nice, and the .450 was a lot more accurate as a .450 AK than it had been as a .348 Win.!! I can't say the same about the .33, because I'd never fired it in .33 caliber before the conversion. But it worked well as a .45/70!

[ 11-20-2003, 17:01: Message edited by: eldeguello ]